Very delayed reaction to this Spoon CD . . .

chessrock

Banned
Just been getting in to this Spoon CD, Kill the Moonlight.

I feel like I've been living under a giant fucking rock, as my friend just introduced me to this little production marvel.

Wow. From start to finish, this whole damn CD not only has strong material, but it has to be about one of the best-produced pieces of work I've heard done in the last 20-years or so.

Where the hell have I been? :D

For those not familiar, run out and get it, or download it or whatever you have to do. Just give it a good listen on some nice monitors in a decent room.

So much good reference material here . . .

The drum sound is something we should all be striving for. The sparcity of the arrangements . . . the complimentary textures . . . And the vocal compression on "Don't let it get you down . . ." All I can say is listen to it and use it as your reference point. Just try and get your vocal compression to sound like that. :D You probably won't be able to do it, but striving for it is a good thing.

I just searched on them and I was wondering who did that "Way we get by" song. That is some cool stuff. I'll have to go pickup the CD.

In my opinion their previous album "Girls Can Tell" is even better in terms of the quality of material. There is a fantastic groove to the whole thing.

If i had to choose, i would say i like the first one best. But both albums have a awesome feel to them. Great drum recordings.

Being from Austin, I started listening to Spoon a while ago. I'm glad to hear that more people are checking them out.

I have been doing my best to promote them this side of the pond. In fact, at least four people have bought their records thanks to me introducing them to it...I surely deserve some sort of commission!

Disco_Dave said:
In my opinion their previous album "Girls Can Tell" is even better in terms of the quality of material. There is a fantastic groove to the whole thing.

You must be about the 10th person to say something to that effect. "Dude, if you like this one, then you have to hear "Girls can Tell."

:D

Yea, I'm definitely going down to the 'ole record store to pick that one up this evening. These guys are very refreshing -- didn't realize there were actually people still making good music nowadays. It's encouraging. I must have spun that "moonlight" CD like 100 times already and I ain't sick of it yet.

They were also on Austin City Limits a few months ago. I dont know if you can obtain video copies of that show? But if you can, they were pretty damn good.

If you like them you should check out the Shins as well.

xoxo
Twonky

Hey Chess,

Have you ever heard anything from The Tea Party? I highly suggest you check them out as they have some of the hugest, layered mixes that sound absolutely phenomenal. Their newer CD's are only available as an import from Canada. Good starting points are "The Edges of Twilight" and "Triptych".

twonky said:
If you like them you should check out the Shins as well.
I love the Shins! However, you shouldn't be listening to them for amazing production. The drum sound on their record was pretty crappy. The snare sounded like a cardboard box.

Again, I must reiterate that I love the Shins. Their record was my favorite of 2002.

Shins,

Not for production, although I love that quality as well it really fits the songs in my opinion.

Another band I reccomend for what I consider to be excellent- bone dry production, w/ really great drum sounds and songs is Komeda. They are kind of a weird cross between the Cardigans and DEVO. I would start w/ the album "What Makes it Go?". Very cool.

The other band I would reccomend is my significant other's band the RAH-BRas "Ruy Blas" album. Also some stellar digital recording. They are a real freaky mix of Punked up Dance Music meets The Ruins. Chessrock, the Rash BRas will actually be in your area on July 25th w/ a band called the Locust at the fireside bowl. They put on a live show that is not to be missed!

Ok, I'll be quiet now

I've been listening to the Moonlight and Girls albums by Spoon and they are pretty killer. It looks like Girls was actually a home studio production.

I contacted Spoon through their website and Producer/Engineer/Guitarist Mike Mccarthy has ageed to answer some questions. I emailed them to him and he will either post the answers here or answer by email and I will post them up. I'm going out of town for a week so there may be no replies here until I get back.

That would be pretty kickass if you could get them to post on this thread.

Kind of a living example of killer homebrew getting major distributinon and airplay. It can be done, kids. :D

I heard Moonlight was a "garage" recording.

Its kind of funny though......I heard the second track from Moonlight on the TV show The O.C. last week.

I LOVE this album.......I'm trying to find GIRL but no one stocks it around here......i'll have to order it.

Twonky...its really funny, my friend Jon handed me the Spoon disc and the Shins together one day and said "Here. Check these out. You'll dig em."

Well I did dig Spoon but not the Shins so much. He groups them together as similar sounding but I dont think they sound anything alike.

Chess, you're right....the sounds work together so well.....and just a little bit of effects thrown in there .....just enought to make them REALLY interesting.
And it never sounds like there are a lot of tracks but it sounds complete.....even the track where the drum sticks click together for most of the song.

-mike

Yea, they really get a lot out of a few tracks, don't they?

Very simple concept; Get a few really good sounds with interesting textures, and use sparse arrangements. Less is more.

Why doesn't "radio" get that??????

Most of the new stuff on the radio is so damn saturated....

.......but I guess that particular horse has been beaten almost as dead as the loudness issue.

-mike

Back