Valve gear really worth it?

mcr

What type of preamps and compressors (VCA or valve) do producers of hit pop songs use? I'm talking here about songs that are played by the average Pop radio stations airing songs by N'Sync, J Lo, Ricky Martin ...

I was told that VCA/electro based compressors are the norm. If that is so, then why are so many people willing to pay such a high premium for valve compressors and preamps? Is it a matter of music style (e.g. valve for Rock, Punk, ...) or what is it about expensive valve gear?

I would like to know since this would definitely determine my choice of gear for my homestudio. At the moment I'm hanging indecisively between the dbx 576 (mixture of the dbx 566 and dbx 586) and the Mindprint Envoice ...
Anyways ... which is the way to go: valve or VCA?

thanks

Pick up a copy of EQ, Mix, or TapeOp magazine, and you can get a feel for what type of equipment some of these guys are using. Remember, just because a piece of equipment has tubes in it, does not make it good. In fact, a good majority of the stuff with tubes in it nowadays is junk.

yeah ... that I should do. It's just that I'm not shure where to find these magazines (or quivalents) over here in England.

cheers

Back