Using ribbons in a live context

elbandito

potential lunch winner
Have any of you had much success using ribbon mics in a live context? I'm considering using a pair on either a sax/trumpet combo or as OH on drums for a 7-piece funk/soul band this weekend (drums, guitar, bass, 2xVocal, sax, trumpet).

The room is quite large, with two hanging bins and a sub on the floor in front of the stage. We've got four monitors for the performers and we make a point to keep the sound on stage at a decently low volume - for example, we flip the guitar amps away from the crowd, mic them and run them thru the monitors, instead of having them blasting away. You can check it out here: 3030 Dundas West.

I'm considering using ribbons because a) I'd like to try to get a more authentic 60's kinda sound from the recording, b) I'm trying to think of ways to avoid having to put a mic in the air to capture the audience and c) this recording will be used alongside a professionally captured video and may end up being released as a live album.

Ideas/ Opinions?

Artur Fisher (DIY Audio Components, Latvia) has posted a video showing live use of his RM-5 ribbons, on the front page of his website: DIYAudioComponents - Passion For Ribbon Microphones

Given the fragility of ribbons, I would personally be a little reluctant to put them on stage where they mightn't get the "respect" that they need. But, on the other hand, ribbons are just another tool to be used.

In my limited experience with ribbons, I have been really impressed with the sound that they capture, so it could be very gratifying to put a few up.

You will, no doubt, know that while ribbons can handle fairly high SPL, direct puffs of air can be damaging, so suitable protection should be factored in.

Paul

Don't go with the ribbons is my knee jerk reaction ..... But heck that's just me.

Live with the figure of 8 pickup pattern of the ribbons you not only will pick up the audience but the monitors and the mains to make it a feed back nightmare situation. Even the use of LDC with not prove very good for recording in that situation unless you have semi-total isolation like with GOBO's ... but this is live on a stage and not in a studio.

If it were me I would go with dynamic microphones I would also recommend them to be SM57 or as many Sennheiser MD421 II as you can get your hands on.

They both have always done me righteous in live sound support and for live recordings of such instruments.

Thanks for the tips and the link to that video, guys. I think I'll stick with the dynamics for the horns but just for fun, i think I'll throw up the ribbons over the kit alongside my overhead mics on a couple of stereo bars to see what it sounds like.

Moresound, have you had much success with the 421 on sax? I tried it once on an alto and thought it sounded to nasally for my tastes.

I use 'em on live gigs. Beyer M160's & M130's are pretty rugged. I use my Royer SF12 too, though I use the fuzzy wind protector. Creates a bit of a visual distraction, but it's usually worth it.

I have been wondering about this as well. The Beyer m160 and 130 obviously make sense to me.

However, I've always been a fan of the old Town Hall Party shows from the 1950s. There are several RCA 77s in there. They didn't use monitors, but I know they used some sort of horn for the mains back then. (Look them up on Youtube). There are a few instances of feedback, but that's probably because they were turned up too much because of the bipolar directionality.

My thoughts.

I have used 2 mxl 44s (live vocals) for 3 years and counting. They have proven road worthy and have a nice tone. Feedback is no greater than any other mic. The only problem so far has been cheap house mixers that dont like the low impedence or a sound guy here and there that doesnt know how to eq a ribbon (or run sound for that matter)

Have also used a EHR1 on live upright bass many times.

Oh yea, we also modify the mxls to look like the old rca mics ......

I have used 2 mxl 44s (live vocals) for 3 years and counting. They have proven road worthy and have a nice tone. Feedback is no greater than any other mic. The only problem so far has been cheap house mixers that dont like the low impedence or a sound guy here and there that doesnt know how to eq a ribbon (or run sound for that matter)

Have also used a EHR1 on live upright bass many times.

Oh yea, we also modify the mxls to look like the old rca mics ......

Am assuming that your using the ribbons with in the proper content in the live situation.

For instance ..... your not using them for vocals in a rock band. Right?

if you drop it, it will probably break. and they're so sensitive that too much sonic force could also break them. they're more for studios in a controlled audio space.

Back