Using a microphone to record vocals on digital piano

Lesley88

Hi
I am a singer and have a Yamaha Clavinova CLP 635 with built in recorder and creates wav files. The piano has no dedicated Microphone input port. I've been told by various music shops that I can still input the Shure SM58 Mike into the piano itself and record vocals and piano using the pianos own recorder rather than having to hook it up to a computer using the XLR cable that comes with the Mike. My question is, what port on the piano do I plug the Mike into without a Mike input port. Do I need to buy an adapter or jack of some sort to connect to the Mike. Please help!

Hi there,

I don't think they're right, although take it with a pinch of salt until someone can confirm first-hand.
To me it looks like your piano will record down wavs of piano playing,
and also has auxiliary inputs so you could play along to music from another source, like an mp3 player or something,
but I don't see any suggestion that the input to Aux In is also recorded to wav.

Even if it is recorded I'm pretty sure you'd need a microphone preamplifier between, say, an sm58 and the aux input.

If you're interested in recording longer term the better approach is probably to grab a USB audio interface that has a pair of line inputs (for the piano) plus at least one microphone input,
and do all your recording to computer.
Sure, the piano has built in .wav recording but it looks like it's only really a convenience if that's all you want.

Hope that's helpful (and not wrong..!)

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I may have to get the CSP model with mic, line input. Im going to ask Yamaha as everyone is saying diff things!

If recording, longer term, is of interest to you I'd strongly advise looking at an audio interface based setup
however, if it's just voice and piano you're interested in and that's that, I can see the appeal of the piano being able to handle it all for you.

Please let us know what you find out, and how you get on. :)

Back