Using external mixer - Pre Q10

locosan

I am wanting to get a "better sound" in to my our aardvark. I have tried different amps/mics/instruments but sometimes i'd like to "pre-mix" the sound before recording - can i just change my settings to Pre-fader and use the aardvark faders? I wanted to use an old SAMICK analog board that we have but the only line outs i can figure are xlr and that is not recommended to go into the Q10. any ideas? thanks, loco

why would they not be reccommended to go into the Q10?

and, for the software "pre fader" thing, all that does is show you the levels prefader, nothing else really.

Q10 Line Level ?

Hi shack -- i swear that i have read in the manual that one should not run a "line level mic" into the Q10. Am i not understanding the meaning? We did try it this way for a few seconds and it was giving an awful hum so i didn't want to risk messing with it and kill something -- loco but ...

locosan said:
Hi shack -- i swear that i have read in the manual that one should not run a "line level mic" into the Q10. Am i not understanding the meaning? We did try it this way for a few seconds and it was giving an awful hum so i didn't want to risk messing with it and kill something -- loco but ...

That's why the Q10's software has three trim settings on each channel - "L", "M1", and "M2" - Line, High-output Mic, and Low-Output Mic.

I've had my Q10 for years, and I've never had a problem using it with line-level inputs (tape decks, etc.).

i think y'all are wrong or....

i quote straight from the q 10 manual page 8 !Important Do Not connect XLR line Levelor 1/4" microphones. further on it says the 8 XLR inputs are designed for microphones specifically.. loco so... back to my original question unless i'm understanding to little -- BUT THANKS for the replies - i've been looking for a while - learning but i have done little in the way of involving myself in this website --- i think it's great loco

I'm gonna take a look at the manual if I can find it on PDF online.

Why would the inputs take 1/4" plug if they say DONT DO IT....? ha! 1/4" = line level, pretty much! haha.

lastly, the inputs 7 and 8 are MEANT for line level instruments, aka keyboards, bass, line level guitar in...etc. Which is why they have those switches which makes the sound a bit more aggressive.

I wouldn't run the output of the board into one of the jacks on the front of the Q10. If I understand you correctly, you're wanting to get your preamplification from the Samick, and in this instance use the Q10 strictly as converters and soundcard. If this is correct then you'll be running out of one preamp into another preamp, which is not good.

I now use a an FMR RNP, which I connect to one (or two for stereo) of the 4 inserts on the back of my Q10.

If I'm not understanding you correctly, and the Samick doesn't have preamps on board, then you would need to run first into the Q10 for the preamps, out of one of the Q10s outputs on the back into the Samick, adjust the sound at the Samick, then back out of the Samick and into the Q10 via one of the inserts on the back.

If your Samick only has XLR outputs, then go to guitar center and buy one of those little transformer things that will let you change an XLR into a 1/4".

Hope this helps.

locosan said:
i quote straight from the q 10 manual page 8 !Important Do Not connect XLR line Levelor 1/4" microphones. further on it says the 8 XLR inputs are designed for microphones specifically.. loco so... back to my original question unless i'm understanding to little -- BUT THANKS for the replies - i've been looking for a while - learning but i have done little in the way of involving myself in this website --- i think it's great loco

To quote further from the same page of the same manual:

"The inputs are designed to accept either 1/4" line level signals, such as the output of mixers, synthesizers, and drum machine, or direct connection of XLR microphones....

"! IMPORTANT Do not connect XLR line level or 1/4" microphones."

So, we can infer from this information that there is internal circuitry on each input which provides higher gain when an XLR connector is connected, and lower gain when a 1/4" plug is inserted.

Thanks

to you both - i am going to try mixing down drums at some point and gain a couple of extra slots and see how it works -- meanwhile i've run into some software issues that i thought i had figured out (and they're more impt. right now) so i guess i'm going to switch forums and see if i can get some more good advice Thanks again

yeah, see the manual is saying, don't connect a MIC with a 1/4" connection - or a LINE LEVEL mic to the preamps (front imputs) of the Q10. Other stuff is fine.

Additionally, Electrikaz made a good point. You can't plug something into the front of the Q10 and expect to bypass their preamps. Sure, you can set it to 0 gain or something, but it's still running through the Q10's pre's - which maybe is not needed/good for you if you want the color of only your outboard pre's from the mixer. In this case, using the inserts on the back should be fine.

holla

Back