UA 6176 settings for recording

basal

I recently got hold of a UA 6176. Im looking for tips or guidelines for using the compressor. I use in the box compressors without metering so I'd like to start learning more about meters (I do understand that this is a fixed threshold compressor). I've heard that most engineers use the Gain Reduction setting. I'm just using it to record vocals. I would imagine that when preparing the settings you would use both the meter and your ears to find the best settings. Any help is appreciated, have a good day.

That's a really nice unit. I've never used one but only heard good things. What Mic are you using. I was going to buy one of those once, but went with an SSL set up with a TLM 103. Now I'm running a U47 tube clone into 1073eq clone What's your current front end ? Just curious.

I expect that with a fixed threshold compressor you drive the signal into the threshold (with the Input) and trim it as needed downstream (with the Output).

I would use the Gain Reduction setting on the meter, to show how much the signal is being compressed.

It's one of those things where you need to practice to train your ear. Using a hardware compressor on a signal on the way into the DAW means you commit to the compression, so you really want to know what you're doing. Perhaps you could set up a loop out of the DAW and back in so you can practice using a prerecorded vocal track.

That's a really nice unit. I've never used one but only heard good things. What Mic are you using. I was going to buy one of those once, but went with an SSL set up with a TLM 103. Now I'm running a U47 tube clone into 1073eq clone What's your current front end ? Just curious.

I didn't purchase it, I got lucky to be able to use it temporarily. I have a humble setup, using an Nt1a and studiolive interface.

isnt the 1176 the "dr. pepper" setting? 10 ATT, 2 RELEASE, 4:! ratio

CLA' said he uses his mentor..Hartman's settings everytime and has never changed ..
- setup is 30 IN /18 OUT/ 3 ATTACK / 7 Release....ratio as ears choose.

I got it on the internet so it must be true.

I have a humble setup, using an Nt1a and studiolive interface.
I had that mic, its sounds great through a Joemeek VC3 (not to be mistaken for 3Q) The VC3 is discontinued but you can get one for around 250.00 US. If you ever get a chance to try one you'll be amazed how that combination sounds for that price. The NT-1 tends to be thin, but the VC3 is super fat and saturated, yet still has nice highs. The only con is its a bit noisy.

I second the old original Joe Meek stuff, it can make a nice mic track.
The 6176 costs 10x's more! It should be very capable of getting a good track.

Back