Trying to get huge guitar tone - KORN cover - 6 heavy guitar tracks - please listen

Dylan S

Hey guys,

I'm back after a trip I went on with my Dad for a while which was totally awesome.

Anyway, I've recorded a Korn cover for something a bit different, as all of the mixes I try to achieve are sort of tight death metal kind of mixes, and now I'm trying to get a big, umm, sort of lose but still good tone kind of mix.

As I said in the thread title, the heavy rhythms are 6 tracks of guitar. It's really hard to get a bass tone for Korn out of my toneport but I think it sounds kind of ok. The good thing with Korn songs is you can have the bad bass noise and it sounds good! ;) Well maybe...

Could you please throw me some ideas to get the mix sounding as big as possible? Like, really in your face but not in a harsh way.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=817513

Tell me what you think.

It's all Cubase SX3 with EZdrummer (DKFH samples) and my C7 hellraiser tuned to A standard, and my yamaha RBX375 bass.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to put this in the mp3 mixing clinic. If this doesn't belong here please remove it. If it's ok, then fire away! :)

I can't listen to your tracks, sorry. I am on a gov't pc with no speakers, but I have a question for you: did you DI the guitar or mic an amp?

I DI'd it with a toneport and the big bottom model.
I can't speak for everyone, and when I say this, a dozen people will refute it, but I've never been able to get a decent guitar tone from a DI track.

I wish I could listen to yours. I'd like to see what you did.

I don't think the secret to big guitar tone is in the number of tracks, though. It's more in the amp, mic and mic technique.

Good luck with it.

I'll give your tracks a fair listen when I get home... Great job on the guitarwork! SIX guitar tracks?? Ida never guessed, that's 6 tight tracks then! Impressive. Are you multitracking the (relatively) clean parts, ie sanitarium? My only comment about the mix so far is that the cyms and hh seem a little loud, and the drums are panned really hard, sounds too panned imho.

Anyway, judging by how other music sounds here at work, I beleive those mixes sound better than anything I've ever produced, but that's not saying much....

BTW - Your 6 rhythm tracks, are they all using the same patch on your toneport, or are you using any plugins with different settings on any of the tracks? Ie do all six tracks have identical tone?

Rokket - I know these DI problems and they are so annoying! I am actually a very big fan of micing my amp but due to consideration of my 5 housemates I don't very often. I play loud all the time but recording is different because I'm playing the same thing over and over again and it can get monotonous. You have inspired me to do something with my amp though so look out for that soon.

suprstar - Thanks mate! Yeh I tried to be as tight as possible. All the other heavy stuff on my soundclick is 4 heavy tracks and I just wanted to do something different to see how it turned out. The clean parts on sanitarium and waffle are 3 tracks, panned left, right and centre.

The 6 tracks are all using the same tone yes, and I think I will have to do something about the drums.

Thankyou so much for your comments.

I think you have too many guitar tracks. They sound phasey and hollow. Nowhere near the sound in waffle. Try going down to just two tracks with different patches for each side.

yea, a little phasey.
remember, more isn't allways better, sometimes it's just more.

the guitars seem a little light in the mid range, and they could probably be a little louder.
like nl5 said, try recording just 2 tracks and re-amping the parts thru a few different sounds, one bassey, one all thinner and bright, and one all mids.

mix them to taste.

and the bass sounds good, but may need a bump in the lows a little, the "meat" of your bass seems to be a little higher in range then korns bass tone.

over all a good recording though. :cool:

Or for a little simpler approach, track 2 gits with the best tone you can find and pan them hard, and record a third with a most of the bass and some of the hi-end cut out. Put that one in the center.

remember, 6 guitars with the same tone isn't really bigger so much as it is more sloppy and louder.

Yea this is something I wanted to learn, and I am glad I am finding all this out. I know more isn't always better but I was just wondering how it could sound or be different to my other stuff.

Thanks for the info guys.

To get that huge sound with what you have, make some changes to the Toneport patches. Make one kind of trebly, one kind of bassy, use different amp models, etc.

Thanks guys.

I took plenty of ideas into account and re-did it, and posted it on my soundclick. They're both still there for comparisons sake. Tell me what you think. :)

Ya, the guitars are way better, sharper, more defined. I'm suprised how the first mix sounds on my monitors, it sounded way better at work.. 2nd mix sounds great, good job!

Back