Trouble recording acoustic guitar solo

tkdunn

I've been working on an instrumental recently that could really use an acoustic guitar for the main melody and outro solo. I used an SP C3 ==> JoeMeek TwinQCS ==> Delta 1010 ==> Mac for the backing rhythm acoustic guitar part and it sounds great, but the same setup for the solo parts is thin and distant.

I'm recording a Taylor 810, so I know it's not the guitar.

Any tips on capturing a good "up-front" acoustic solo?

Where do you have the mic placed and how far away? Have you added any effects or EQ? Are the dynamics in the solo subtle or pronounced? (i.e. are you picking hard and getting some good attack in there?) Do you have the backing tracks in stereo with solo track in the center? Also, what pattern are you using on the C3?

My (very) limited experience with the C1 is that I have to place it very carefully and roll off some of the bass in order to get a crisp guitar sound- and keep it away from the sound hole. The C1 sure is full sounding, but with careful placement, and maybe some narrow cuts in the low end, it can cut through.

Chris

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried some different miking positions a bit further away from the soundhole, cranked up the compression and worked the EQ in a few spots. Much more defined sound now...

I use different mics recording leads and backup, even different guitars. I often use a large diaphram condenser for rythum and a KM184 for leads. Love that KM184 for accoustic amd mandolin!

Pete

I was recording a guitar overdub with an ECM8000 about 5 inches off the 12th fret pointed straight down. The part had a lot of picking and I realised as I started that the level was way too high. Instead of stopping I just played it out but the high level forced me to play at about half the level I usually would. The track came out very cool. The guitar sounded a little brighter, great sustain, a nice pluck and very little slide noise.

Playing softer actually made the sound bigger. There was much less dynamic range overall so it fit well when pushed up in the mix. It's kinda like compressing by just adjusting your playing. Acoustics also sound very different when you play them very quietly.

Just something to try.

opps

my advice is along the lines of trying different things.If the acoustic isnt working go for a different tact.I havn't done much acoustic stuff but when I have I always insist on new strings and that the player is comfortable with both what they are hearing and how they are feeling in their envioroment. Then I mic up around them so as not to be in their way and spend time positioning mics and then reposition them until I get it right.Igot some good results from my no name $3 mic I got from a second hand store,and Ive got bad rasults from my expensive studio mics (but not very often) I belive it is all down to spending a lot of time on it till you get it right then over dub a electirc guitar.

Re: opps

rocky outcrop said:
I belive it is all down to spending a lot of time on it till you get it right then over dub a electirc guitar.

but he might not WANT an electric guitar in it. maybe he wants to capture his acoustic solo without adding an electric guitar.

adding an electric guitar can totally change the mood or atmosphere of the track.

sorry, but i dont think that overdubbing an electric guitar solves anything really.

it may work for you and i respect that, but i dont agree that it is the way to do things.

Well, here's something that works sometimes: mic the acoustic with two mics. I use one down between the bouts pointing up at the last fret before the fingerboard disappears into the sound hole, and another mic angled at the 12th fret somewhere at a distance that sounds good. It's close miking. You could also try the second (or first) mic pointing at the bridge or its vicinity - every guitar's got different sound radiating patterns, and you have to fart around with various mic positions to find out what works. It takes time and work, but it pays off.

When you've got your two tracks recorded, pan them. It sounds way bigger than just one mic on the acoustic.

TexRoadkill said:
I was recording a guitar overdub with an ECM8000 about 5 inches off the 12th fret pointed straight down.

Straight down? As in capsule pointed at the floor? For rhythm too?

Rocky, I laughed my ass off at your post...:D

For whatever reason pointing the ecm straight down gave me the best tone. It seemed to roll off a little of the bass. It was still an inch or two above the neck.

It might have helped with reflections since the closest surface it was pointed at was now carpeting. Since its an omni the direction you point it at theoreticaly doesnt make much of a difference but I just liked the sound of it.

The sound is somewhat cheap sounding when soloed but it fit well with the mix.

Back