Trim Gain vs. Preamp Gain

tvanveen

I'm new to this, so forgive me if this is ignorant.

I have a VF160 and use a few mic preamps to feed into it. So from my perspective I have 2 knobs that handle the gain coming in, one on the preamp, plus the trim pot on the channel.

What's the best way to to set the levels on each pot? Basically what I've been doing is setting the preamp gain so it's just below clipping, then adjusting the trim pot so I get "good" levels on the LCD.

Is this the right way to go about it?

Thanks!

tv

oh, so you're using an outboard preamp...right? took me awhile to understand that until i read it again. i thought you were saying you had two knobs on the Fostex...anyway, i'm stupid.

the way you're doing it should be fine. definitely adjust the preamp first to a good strong signal and then the fostex for extra gain if you need it.

The lowest setting on the recorders pot is almost certainly the way to go. If there are line ins to your recorder it would be even better to take your preamp's output directly into them.

What you are doing now is using half VF160 mic pre and half of the (presumably) higher quailty external one. Unless you really like the sound you get from the knob settings as they are, reconfigure to use the external pre only.

Looks like Benny and I were typing @ the same time! Take your pick of our answers --- that means listening to it both ways!

ssscientist said:
If there are line ins to your recorder it would be even better to take your preamp's output directly into them.

That's what I assumed he was doing. Since what you're really doing is converting the mic signal into line level and then passing that into the Fostex, you should use the line inputs. Using the trim then would be just like if you had plugged a guitar into it. You're using the trim just incase the signal isn't hot enough coming from whatever source you have plugged into it...in this case the preamp.

bennychico11 said:
That's what I assumed he was doing.

Most line inputs are just that - inputs with no attenuation or amplification available. If Tvanveen needs to raise the levels of the signal coming out of the preamp to get 'a good level' on the meters it should be an experimetal issue with the best sounding solution being the winner...

Back