Transfer Cassette tapes to Computer

Carl888

I am trying to transfer tape cassettes,to
my computer. I'm in the research part
now. Trying to learn all I can before I try
to transfer a cassette,to my computer.
So far all I am is totally confused. Need-
less to say I am new at this type of thing.
I hav downloaded Audacity. I have a tape
player to hook my transfer cable to my
computer. I know where it goes on my
tape player,but not on my computer. I
have my speaker hooked to the green
port,which is in the center,with a red port
on one side and a blue port on the other
side. My question is what port do I hook
the Audio transfer Cable? I have a Com-
paq,Presario computer. Running Windows
XP. If more specs. are needed,I can
add to question. Any help would be
appreciated. Thank You

Is it a desktop computer? Most will give you 3 audio ports...one of them is a line-in...you have to kinda' deciper the meaning of the arrows/rings...one suggests the arrow is going out and the other shows the arrow going in...that's what you want, going in.

If no line-in...you have to use the mic-in (should be a small mic icon next to the port)...but watch your levels.

Also...in Audacity, you have to CHOOSE which port is the input port for Audacity to record from, otherwise you will get nothing. There are several choices from the pull-down at the top/center of the Audacity window.

Check the Help menu if you can't locate the pull-down.

Hey Carl- on every desktop computer I've ever seen, green=speaker out, pink=mic in and blue=line in. You want the line in.

You'll need a cable or adapter like this to make the connection...
audiocables.jpg

Commonly available from your local radio shack.

I've never used Audacity, but you should be able to select the input for the track you are going to record. Select the "line in" from your sound card.

Well Id never attempt it without a dbx128 and an aureal exciter to remove tape noise and restore dynamics...that should add to the thread.

Make sure you have the input selector (in Audacity) set to stereo or you will only record a mono track. Record 1 song at a time, Audacity often encounters latency issues after about 6 minutes of continus recording. After you record the songs/tracks you want copy them or transfer them to your preferred media player/jukebox for burning to CD or listening. Delete the Audacity files after you transfer them, when Audacity gets too cluttered with multiple files it sometimes does weird things. Thats about all the tips I can offer, all based on doing the same thing you are wanting to do.

Back