Tips to recording vocals

gh0stm3

Im new to recording, i want to start recording my sisters vocals to backing tracks i have.

I just got cubase and was just wondering what type of things i need to keep in mind to get the cleanest sound possible.

I use a shure sm58 and have jus got a pop screen. The mic is so sensetive it picks up everything so im tryin to set up a screen that ul hide as much unwanted sound as possible.

My sisters vocals range in volume, do i use a compresser to normalize the vocals?? or can cubase do this for me?

any tips would be great thanks

gh0stm3 said:
Im new to recording, i want to start recording my sisters vocals to backing tracks i have.

I just got cubase and was just wondering what type of things i need to keep in mind to get the cleanest sound possible.

I use a shure sm58 and have jus got a pop screen. The mic is so sensetive it picks up everything so im tryin to set up a screen that ul hide as much unwanted sound as possible.

My sisters vocals range in volume, do i use a compresser to normalize the vocals?? or can cubase do this for me?

any tips would be great thanks

Well, welcome to your new obsession, kiss your wallet girth goodbye, and say hello to long frustratingly glorious nights. It goes without saying that a little info on your recording setup and hardware interface would be helpful, but here are a couple of generic pointers.

If you can, record in an isolated and sound dampened place. A closet is a great ghetto rig for this because the clothes will absorb lots of background noise. Plus, everytime someone needs you, you can say "I need to come out of the closet first!" :cool: it will never get old

Secondly, yes a compressor is good, and Cubase has some built in ones that will work. You may check out KRK Audio for some free VSTs that don't sound too bad.

Ghost,

Welcome.

If you're just starting out, you can get a passable, low noise recording out of your current SM58 (I assume going into a standard computer sound card?). But if you expect it to sound anything anywhere near a commercial recording, you are going to be rather disappointed.

To "get the cleanest sound possible" you'd want to consider replacing the SM58 with at least an inexpensive condensor mic going into a preamp other than a Soundblaster card.

As far as your sister's voice, are her changes in volume on purpose or is it because she does not het know how to "work the mic" aor maybe even control her voice? If it is on purpose - that is she is just a very dynamic singer - then I'd keep the amount of tracking compression to an absolute minimum. If it's because of rookie technique on your sister's part then I'd recommend two things: first get her to start practicing good microphone technique - e.g. moving up on and backing off the microphone dynamically as he voice shanges volume.

Then on your end, look into the Cubase manual under the topic of automatiing volume levels, and use that to try and even your sister's vocal track levels; it'll work well on the levels without adding the artifacting of compression.

HTH,

G.

Back