Thread: Thoughts on Sony WH 1000s for audio book narration

Thanks

Thoughts on Sony WH 1000s for audio book narration

Sign in to disable this ad
    Getting started and I have a question about headphones. I'll be recording audio books with (probably) a Rode NT1 or equivalent with a Scarlet interface (both of which I'm about to purchase) in a fairly well treated room on an iMac 2019 with Reaper or Audition (haven't made up my mind on this yet).

I own a pair of Sony WH 1000s headphones, which are nearly brand new and I find terrific for general use. Are there significant cons to using them for this purpose?

If so, recommendations up to $150?

Note: This is a hobby for me. I'm narrating my own already published print and ebooks. I simply need the recordings to pass muster with ACX, and of course, sound as good as I can make them.

Thanks
    Probably no major issues with them. They’re closed back which should keep unwanted bleed from being a problem. The only issue might be latency due to Bluetooth.....but not likely.

Mick
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    You might check latency just with a test, because you'll have to set the iMac to use the Scarlett for input but keep the system for output. And, if they are noise cancelling, you should turn that off while monitoring.

I like the Beyerdynamic DT-770 for tracking. To use directly with the interface (no supplemental headphone amp), I'll suggest the 32Ω (ohm) model. I have not tried those, but my 250Ω set are my favorite for monitoring - extremely comfortable, but better if you have a headphone amp, though for narration/voiceover they probably work Ok - I used them directly into my old Saffire Pro for a couple years before getting a headphone amp.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    I was recently using my JBL Bluetooth earbuds for watching TV, and was surprised how much latency there was. It was enough that you could clearly seen lips move before the words came out. Watching a concert, the drummer was hitting the high hat way before the click came! I'm sure the general public wouldn't care, but stuff like that drives me nuts.

I don't know where in the chain the delay is originating, but I'll just use my headphones in the future, and keep the earbuds for listening to MP3s on my phone.

Thanks
    ^^^^ Yeah....every Bluetooth device I've used has had some latency....some more than others....but it's there. Obviously it's ok for listening to audio only and as TalismanRich says....it might not bother some....but it drives me completely nuts.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thread Information