Thinking of buying an amp.

sausy1981

Hi guys,
I've recently been looking at getting an boss gt 10 to replace my br800 as I only use the br800 for its guitar effects I thought the gt10 would be a step up. But I've been thinking lately of getting an amp and micing it up with a shure sm57. I've been recording at home for the last 5-6 years but i've never mic'd a guitar amp, I've just always used digital modellers or software amp sims. So I was thinking of buying the roland cube 20. What do you guys think? Is 20watts ok for recording?

20 watts is plenty but ...... while I'm not sure what kinda music you have in mind, the Roland is not the amp I'd consider for upgrading from the modelers you already use.
Basically it IS a modeler thru a dinky speaker.
I think you'll find most guitarists would suggest something like a Blackstar HT 5 or one of the many, many other 1 to 5 watt tube amps out there.

Are you only going to be recording with this amp, or is it possible you will want to use it for live performing use?
Are you planning on using software FX on your guitar recordings, or want to record FX-ed sounds direct?
What's your budget?

Thanks for replying, I understand that the roland is basically a modeller but I was kinda hoping that it would sound better as I was micing the speaker and "moving some air" as they say, I guess I was being naieve, I just wanted to have some versatility. I can seem to find the blackstar or that particular fender on any of the websites for the music shops in my town, I'm in dublin Ireland. My budget would be around €200 for the amp. Another couple of amps Ive been looking at are the Marshall MG15, or the Fender mustang I but I'm thinking that these are more or less the same as the roland...
Basically I'm limited to whats in this store XMusic

well hmmmm ...... first ... the Roland will have it's own sound ...... everything does. If you can try one and you like the sound then go for it. It will add another flavor to your sounds.

But, though I know little about what's available in Ireland ..... there's currently a revolution in small amps with little 5 watt EL84 amps being put out by just about everyone and often at dirt cheap prices. I think there almost HAS to be some available in your area. Try a Fender Super Champ ...... that's simply got to be available there ...... it's one of Fender's big successes.
And you must have a used market.

I have an MG 15 ....... meh, it can do a decent clean and I actually use it to record bass thru occassionally ( at very low volumes) but the distortion is crap. Modelers gonna be WAY better for dirty sounds.

What kind of music do you do?
That makes a difference .......... I'd take my time and talk and think about this and try to maximize your return on your investment.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm gonna continue looking and researching as I want to get this right first time. At the moment the Fender champ is in the lead. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm gonna continue looking and researching as I want to get this right first time. At the moment the Fender champ is in the lead. All suggestions are welcome.
Champ is a great amp. Are you talking about the Super Champ XT? Or the regular Champ.
Either would give you some of that tube sound you've been missing but the Super Champ has a LOT of extra features which get very good reviews.

Get a loan and buy a JVM210 or JVM410. They are made in UK so they should be readily available.

Back