Tascam Model 24

As this stand-alone recorder/mixer has not even been released yet, you won't see any user reviews.
Looking over the details, it has the same advantages and disadvantages that other stand-alone recorders have.
PROs:
1) No computer needed - until you need to send the output somewhere, like a CD or the web.
2) Live mixer use - this seems like a good choice when you want a mixer that also record the band when playing, however see CON #1

Cons
1) Can only record 8 tracks separately - if you've got a whole band plugged into this, you'll have to bus some inputs onto the same track (assume it can do this)
2) SD card memory - can be fiddly, and are tracks saved in a format easy to transfer and use on a computer?

Last edited:
OK found it on another page, at first glance it looks good for the analog people that like easy recording interfaces. A bit like an analog version of a behringer X32? or a qsc touchmix (I own both)

Alan.

Just from blowing up the pic on my phone, it doesnt seem to have more than one sub and no inserts.

Nor that I am in the mkt for one, (I'm set) but IF I was, I'd wait. Don't want to be a beta tester for Tascam. Might be great, might be garbage. Too early to tell .
:D

Tascam site link: Model 24 | OVERVIEW | TASCAM (sorry if a dup but didn't see it).

Overkill for a lot of home studios I'd guess, if they've already got 8+ mic pres, plus the 44.1/48k limit would annoy those that demand higher sampling for studio work (not me, but some do).

Clearly there's a market for these things that allow live, multi-track recording. I think everyone's trying to figure out the right number of channels and features to capture buyers, whether they need/use them or not. IIRC the Zoom model had independent monitor mix capability, which I'd want if I was trying to track a band all at once, but probably not live. AFAIK, they all put the digital FX into the recorded tracks, so if you're using them live, it might or might not give you what you want when you get back home, though I suppose that's a nit.

If they are like my QCS you can record without the live effects and channel processing on the track.

Alan.

I think everyone's trying to figure out the right number of channels and features to capture buyers,

I think they're trying to figure out what they can get away with.
16 is more like it for live use. You can eat up 8 channels in a hurry just micing drums. I'm sure the maufactures know this. :D

Add two guitarists, a bass player vocals, bknd vocal, and what about keys and maybe a horn section??

Even 16 channels get eaten up real quick.

But hey, for a thousand bucks, you're light years ahead of what was available 10 years ago.

So if one knows what they're doing and has some sub mixing capabilities it can be done.

Hell, one of my favorite (and great sounding) live records is Deep Purple Made in Japan. Two four track machines linked together

:D

I like the fact that it allows you to transfer from the SD card directly to tracks ....think its nice + would get it/ definitely recommend it...

The typical 'local club' rock band probably only uses 4 mics live, at most. I don't think Tascam is going after the 'pro' market! Does the 24 allow you to bus down to the 8 available recording tracks?

I think it can record 24 tracks @24 bits, 48 kHz simultaneously to an SD card. You can only overdub 8 channels though. Seems enough to me.

If it needs drivers, I would worry if Tascam will be supporting it for a long time. They seem to drop support quite soon if the product doesn't sell very well.

Seeing how Gibson bought up Tascam a few years back, I'd be very wary of any Tascam product nowadays.

1) Can only record 8 tracks separately - if you've got a whole band plugged into this, you'll have to bus some inputs onto the same track (assume it can do this)

Where did you hear that it can only record 8 tracks separately? From everything I've read it seems like you should be able to record 22 separate tracks simultaneously (24x22 USB interface built in). Am I misunderstanding something?

Where did you hear that it can only record 8 tracks separately? From everything I've read it seems like you should be able to record 22 separate tracks simultaneously (24x22 USB interface built in). Am I misunderstanding something?

This is an old thread, my initial comment was based on the first info released. Looks like it can record 24 tracks simultaneously, but only do punch-in/out on 8 tracks at a time.

Back