TASCAM 246 tapeheads not moving :(

senator skillet

Took the face off of my Tascam Portastudio 246 today to address an external chunky noise on playback (thinking the idler tires based on some threads i read). Didn't replace them, because they didnt look too bad, but used the opportunity to deep clean the machine. During the clean a small spring 'popped out' and I don't know where it goes. I put the machine back together and it turned on fine, but the counter didn't turn on. After a moment of handling the machine the counter blinked on and off a few times. The record function LEDs are not turning on. In addition, tapes won't play/rew/ff and the tapeheads don't move.

Hoping I didn't totally F something up here. There's a lot going on here, but if anyone has any insight or moral support I will be eternally grateful. Thanks yall.

Not sure how "moral" this is, but last I checked the going price for a Tascam 246 on eBay was in the $35-50 range.

You talking manuals? Cause current asking prices are from 150 for a parts deck on up to 900 bucks for a 'refurbished' one.

To the OP, you should move this to the Analog Only forum. You're like to get more responses there. Some very knowledgeable folks on this type of thing hang out there.

To the OP, you should move this to the Analog Only forum. You're like to get more responses there. Some very knowledgeable folks on this type of thing hang out there.
There's another thread, with more contributing.

Edit: That thread is in the tascam user forum.
I agree, analog forum is the place to be. Maybe mods can merge and move the two threads?

You talking manuals? Cause current asking prices are from 150 for a parts deck on up to 900 bucks for a 'refurbished' one.

No, I meant the whole kit'n'kaboodle...though admittedly I haven't looked in about a decade.

Yes ... obviously you haven't looked at any in a while. I just sold mine for $850.

SON OF A BITCH!!! Man, I should've hung on to mine for another 10 years...

No, I meant the whole kit'n'kaboodle...though admittedly I haven't looked in about a decade.

SON OF A BITCH!!! Man, I should've hung on to mine for another 10 years...

Exactly! :) I planned to hold on to mine forever (it took a good amount of trouble to get it back in perfect operating order), but when I happened to accidentally glance the listing price of one, I thought ... "WTH is this guy smoking?" Then I did a "sold listing" search and found several that had sold in the $850 - $1K range. At that point, I thought, "I can't pass this up." So I sold it for $850 and, since I always like to have a 4-track cassette recorder around (I love working in that format), I got a Tascam Porta Two HS (the one from the 80s with the VU meters, not the Porta 02) in great shape for $175. :)

Back