Suggestion- Monitor Headset Based on This Criteria (weird Situation Noisy Environment

CatMalone

Hello,

Could you please ? suggest me a good monitor headset which serves me best “Based on My Criteria”:

Criteria: I live in a noisy environment, even in winters, there is a noise in a day time but fortunately there is quite time at night in winters so I’m taking benefit BUT this is biggie: in Summers the noise is this much that I can’t even work at night so when I do recording in summers the ambient and background noise which comes from outside also get recorded. What I want is, when I listen to the recording and do the editing, I wouldn’t be able to hear any outside noise so that I only concentrate on editing and removing the noise which is recorded.

Real Incident: Actually what happened last summer, I was editing the audio late night and the same noise which was in the recording that very same Nosie was also coming from outside at that time ☹
so I couldn’t even differentiate how much noise is in the recording and how much noise is coming from outside.

Purpose: So I want to go for those headsets which also work best in Summers when there is too much ambient/background noise coming from outside even at night. At least when I am editing the recording and put on monitor headset then I won’t be able to hear the outside noise. Is it possible?

Q1. Could you please tell me which feature should I look for when I search for monitor headset?

Q2. I don’t understand Impedance and Frequency response which varies in every headphone and how do they effect me in a Noisy environment?

Q3. Please also suggest me any headset model no. which fall into above criteria?

FYI: I only record Audio Tutorials and have no connection with music creation but removing noise behind my recorded narration is so important for me.

Gear I use: Focusrite Scarlett solo 2nd gen
MXL 770
Do monitor headset suck any extra power from audio interface?

Budget: I don’t have a big budget but I will try my level best to do whatever it takes to Get the Right headset because last year it was a hell and I know how did I make do without a headset. Now I want to save my time and finish the work So please suggest me whichever is the right headset.

I am so grateful to you whosoever read this.

Thank you in advance!

Look for noise-cancelling headphones. These will block outside noise.

Monitor headsets don't suck any power from the audio interface.

If you want truly 'monitor' performance: Neumann NDH 20. These get a glowing report in the May 2019 issue of Sound on Sound.

Very good sound isolation, said to be better than almost anything else on the market. Truly accurate monitor class reproduction.

Impedance? BIG subject but you need not sweat it here. The NDH 20s are 150 Ohms, much higher than most 'prosumer' phones and thus will be easy to drive from that (probably!) wimpy Solo. The sensitivity is also very high at 114dB/V which also bodes well for easy drive.

There are snags, 419 of the buggers in pounds sterling! A lot for cans you might think but not really if you look at other, top end studio models and £400 would barely buy you the ampliiers for one really top end monitor speaker.

But, WHATEVER you decide to buy make sure you have a returns agreement in place. Headphones can be very personal things to wear for a long time and not all suit all.

Dave.

You definitely want closed back headphones, and if they have noise cancelling, that would be a plus. Most today will be in the 100 to 600ohm range but won't cause any issue with the interface.

For a standard closed back headphone, I would look at Sony 7506, Sennheiser 280, AudioTechinica ATH40 or 50, Beyer DT770. All of these should be in the $100 to $150 range in US. Not knowing where you're located, I don't know what the local market is like. If you have an audio store, like a Guitar Center (US), Dawsons (UK), SweeLee (SE Asia), you can probably audition several different ones.

You'll want to avoid open back headphones like the AKG240 or Beyer DT990, since they will let outside noise through.

If four big ones is too much get a copy of the current SoS. The AKG K371s at £139 get a really great review.

I am going to treat myself as soon as the car tax, the car insurance, the car AA is paid and then the Barclaycard is reset to zero!

Dave.

Back