Studio fatigue

That's great to hear. :listeningmusic:

Thirteen years ago I had about 24 staples on the outside surface of my belly between my belly button and my side. When it came time to remove them I was all freaked out because it was the first time I ever had stitches or staples. Turned out they had this special staple remover and I felt almost nothing at all outside of a little pushing on the skin - absolutely no discomfort.

I didn't read the whole thread. Just the first few pages.
So, sorry if its been brought up......

But.... let me address the elephant in the room.

SIX hours to do a 'scratch' bass track????

Headphones earbuds, monitors aside.
6 hours to do a bass track is enough to fatigue ANYONE.

This tells me that gear is not your problem. Being out of practice in the studio is your problem.

You should be able to do a scratch track in under an hour. Shoot you should be able to do it in 15 minutes for that matter.

I'd say by all means, buy better gear to make your life easier, but just doing it (working in the studio) is what needs to happen.
As you get back into the groove, you'll get faster.
Less time working on a part = less frustration = less fatigue.
:D

I didn't read the whole thread. Just the first few pages.
So, sorry if its been brought up......

But.... let me address the elephant in the room.

SIX hours to do a 'scratch' bass track????

Headphones earbuds, monitors aside.
6 hours to do a bass track is enough to fatigue ANYONE.

This tells me that gear is not your problem. Being out of practice in the studio is your problem.

You should be able to do a scratch track in under an hour. Shoot you should be able to do it in 15 minutes for that matter.

I'd say by all means, buy better gear to make your life easier, but just doing it (working in the studio) is what needs to happen.
As you get back into the groove, you'll get faster.
Less time working on a part = less frustration = less fatigue.
:D

:D :laughings:Well, you missed me starting out saying it's been 25 years since I've done this sort of thing. I am very creaky, plus I kept playing around with different versions because I was improvising the part. I just couldn't resist recording 6 individual bass parts. Now I have a bass part I'm happy with, it doesn't match the rhythm guitar, so I'll redo that and then proceed on to drums. I also readjusted my pickup heights after the 5th track - that got rid of a lot of crazy frequency thingies.

Was it a boy or a girl?

It was almost my leg! :eek:

A botched procedure (where they run a camera up your leg artery to your heart) ripped my artery on the way out. They had to open me up in several places to find it. Then when they stapled my leg together, one side of the incision necrotized and the whole area had to be cut out. If that hadn't of worked (it did, btw), they would've amputated my leg at the hip.

:D :laughings:Well, you missed me starting out saying it's been 25 years since I've done this sort of thing. I am very creaky,.....

I didn't miss that part at all. :D That's why I said being "out of practice" in the studio is your problem
Also as you get back in the groove, you'll get faster. :D

Oh, and stay away from people 'practicing' medicine. Sounds like someone tried to kill you. :)

I put the bass down on a track last night for a client, it's the final now, 30 minutes. Played it through a few times, went for a take, missed a change now and then so dropped a few notes in. However I do play bass several times a week both live and studio, and I suppose it has been 47 years since I took up bass LOL, oh forgot to mention it was on a fretless too LOL. CAn't take too long for this stuff the client is playing.

I know what you are talking about Fatigue, been engineering a lot oh sessions lately between 4 to 10 hours on clients projects, plus live gigs and day job.

Alan.

In a way it just is what it is. Not really a magical answer. It is fatiging. Headphones do require you to back away a lot. I just live with it.

I have found that having something I'm working on "gel" at certain points in it's creation really energizes me - makes me feel
20 years younger with a load of energy. Wipes fatigue right off the table.

I have some decent powered Event TR8's sitting around. Way better than headphones. Shipping will be the biggest cost as they are not lightweight.

Bidding war to guys using headphones starts now. First bid $10. :)

I believe I may be in for a small windfall in the next 2-3 weeks - I'm not counting on it though until I see the money.
Is there any chance your TR8's are still in the game?

I saw some numbers thrown out there earlier and am not sure who's in and for how much.

Ok - heads up to [MENTION=188609]Nola[/MENTION]. I'll start it off with 10.00 + shipping.

Good bid. I would hope Nola will return with $20, but let's just see what happens.

The bottom line is that I would like to give one of you continuing/contributing members an awesome deal on something you can use more than I can.

Let's see if Nola replies, if not let's PM and get your address and figure out shipping cost. That is likely the killer as they are not light...

Back