Stereo Overhead Problems...Quick answer is possible

PapillonIrl

I use a Behringer MX2004A mixer. I have only one 1/8" jack input into my soundcard. I want to use the standard bass drum/snare/2 stereo overheads technique for recording our drummer. I'm waiting for him to arrive for the session now and decided to test the stereo overheads by panning them all the way left and right, and recording into a stereo track in cool edit. I use the 'aux tape out' l+r outputs with a cable that has that red and white l+r connections at one end and the 1/8th jack connection at the other. Only the left panned mic comes through. I have checked cables etc. When I pan the right hand one back toward the centre, THEN it starts coming through.

WHATS GOING ON ??????

Should I use a different output ? Different cables ?

I have always recorded drums in mono but as I have learned a lot of interesting techniques lately, I want to try and start using a stereo pair. Help if you can, I don't have much time.

pAp.

- Are you getting levels on both mics on the mixer

If not, check cables, trim levels etc.

Reverse mic connections on the mixer for a quick test.

- Are you getting levels on both left and right within Cooledit?

Make sure your set to do a stereo recording, and not mono.

Check your sound card settings, double click the speaker icon, is 'line-in' panned to the center? (don't know if this would matter or not, never tried it)

- Go into line in, not mic in.

And, as madmax suggested, make sure the 1/8" is really a stereo connector, should have two black rings on it.

I have checked everything in the above suggestions...the cable is stereo, I only have one input one my soundcard, I don't no what you mean by line in as opposed to mic in.

One other thing though, the mic that is panned left seems to be recording onto both channels in stereo mode equally, even though it is panned completley left.

Thanks for your help anyway, any other suggestions would be welcome.

pAp

You have lots of other options to get the signal out, but your probably going to need some adapters or whole new cabling.

You could run outputs from the insert on each channel, or assign the mic's to ALT 3/4 and go out those. Or, you could use the main output to the sound card.

You will need some way of adapting 1/4" to 1/8" stereo. Radio shack probably sells something that would work. A stereo 1/8" male to two 1/4" female mono's would work fine.

Have you tried to see if the level meters on the board are showing a signal just in the right/left.

I would definitely go with Emric's suggestion if possible. I also have a 2004a Behringer board, and did some recording the same way you are attempting to. I remember I had many problems with it when I started. I am still unable to have anything go into the tape in and come out of the main outs, so go figure.

tubedude said:
Welcome to the world of Behringer.

:D

Okay i'll work on it from there, as it turned out mono drums were okay for the track we did today. But I really want to get this sorted. Adapters I reckon,....adapters...

thanks

pAp.

I think the real question is this; Is the sound card input really stereo? If not then your only getting the sum of both channels with cancelation, and likely shorting the outputs of the mixer together in the process.

Hey Sultan...thanx 4 the collaboration ;)

I think you may be right. I've just tried the same thing with my friend's Makie. It's been put of long enuff. Time to get that new s/c methhinks, Any sugestions ? I'm looking at the Gina24 ?

pAp.

What about the cable?......

Try these things out to determine if it is the card or the cable.....

Flip the connectors on your mixer, you said that the right side didn't work, so now does the right side work but not the left? If so then it's your cable.

Plug a "mono" guitar cable in and arm a "stereo" track, does it show the levels on the left and right side of the recording meters? Does both sides of the stereo meter go up and down or does one side just sit there while the other one moves? If one side just sits there, then it's your card.

Let us know how it turns out. :)

-tkr

Last edited:
Back