Stereo Miking with a mixer

Crow_

My method of recording is digital, with my mixer plugged into my soundcard. So when I record into my software (Audacity), I record it as "stereo", even if I'm using just one guitar cable or something. It ends up being mono on a stereo track so it doesn't really matter.

But I'm trying for stereo miking, and I'm unclear on how it works. I have two of the same brand of microphone and two separate stands, each with its own XLR cable going into two different channels on my mixer. If I record this way, would it be stereo even if both channels on my mixer are set to center, because of the placement of the room? Or would I need to pan these channels? Or do I need some type of Y-cable to connect both mics to one channel? Help would be appreciated :)

Also, as a side question.. I'm trying to record a tenor saxophone and a trombone. I'd like to record them at the same time rather than separately so they will blend better. What type of setup for my mics and where we stand be recommended? The last time I tried recording this way I had both of us stand about 3ft back from our mics, one in front of me (sax) and him (trombone). We were separated from each other by about 2ft and the mics were directly in front of us. Every time I've tried recording my horns before (even individually) the recording did not sound very professional, and neither did this time. :/

If I record this way, would it be stereo even if both channels on my mixer are set to center, because of the placement of the room?

Not sure if I understand the question 100%, but if you're asking about how they should be panned during recording, then it doesn't matter, as long as each mic is going into a seperate channel. You can monitor however you like.

But if you're asking about panning during mixdown, then you need to pan one right and the other left, if you want a stereo sound.

Crow said:
because of the placement of the room?
Well, if you can rotate the room a little to the left, it would help. :D :D :D

Alright, thanks.

[Edit]Removed what I typed here, dumb question that I remembered the answer too :P[/Edit]

Last edited:
It ends up being mono on a stereo track so it doesn't really matter.
Yes and no - You're recording a dual-identical-mono track that's taking up twice the HD space, twice the RAM, twice the processing power, etc., etc.

Define professional. Who says the sounds you are getting are not good. Isn't sax more of a midrange instrument? Just because there aren't a lot of highs in the recording doesn't ruin the fidelity. Unless that is what you mean that it is crap quality. That could have to do with either your sound card cables mics preamps mixers mic placement ill leave out room because it is a contraversal issue in regards to recording:)

Hm I'm not sure. When I use spot-miking the quality is fine, it just doesn't sound too great for whatever reason.

My new recording with stereo miking sounds awesome though, so I'll just use that method from now on :P

If you are recording off of the master outputs on the mixer then you do need to pan the mics hard Left and Right for a stereo recording.

For the horns I would have each player stand in front of a mic and blow in the horns. Move the players and/or mics until it sounds good.

What he said^^

If you are using the mixer in a conventional way, then you need to pan the input channels hard left and right so that only stuff coming through the left appears at the main left output, and only stuff coming in through the right appears at the main right output.

When mixing, you pan each to taste.

If you are recording off of the master outputs on the mixer then you do need to pan the mics hard Left and Right for a stereo recording.
If you are using the mixer in a conventional way, then you need to pan the input channels hard left and right
Yes, these guys are right. I slightly mis-understood the question and probably gave you a mis-leading or wrong answer when I said this:
if you're asking about how they should be panned during recording, then it doesn't matter, as long as each mic is going into a seperate channel.
Sorry about that.

Back