Starting a podcast with four other people, need some suggestion on equipment.

Buncing

Was looking for some advice and found this site. People here seem very knowledgeable, so I figured I would give it a shot.

We all live in different cities, and three of us have an Audio Technica at2020 USB (studio arm etc etc,.). The fourth person just jumped on and has nothing. I was debating sending him my AT2020 since I have background noise, and it picks up EVERYTHING (due to being a condenser).

That being said, I need some suggestions on what else to use. I have a bit over $200 to spend. I need a USB audio interface, and want to go with something XLR. So I can upgrade in the future of the podcast does decently. (maybe to a PR40).

I am debating about getting an M-AUDIO Fast Track and a Shure SM58.

How much background noise will an SM58 pick up? Also, is the SM58 a fairly good mic to use for a podcast? If not, do you have any other suggestions?

a 58 wouldn't be bad, as long as you made sure to put a windscreen or pop filter on it to guard against sibilance and plosives! It would pick up minimal background noise too. I'd go with that, as it fits nicely in your budget and will let you afford a solid interface as well. Try and buy the mic used! It will be very cheap, and those things are built like tanks, so it will more than likely still be in great condition!

Yeah, that wouldn't be a bad choice either. Never had any experience with it, but I just looked up a bunch of reviews on it and it seems to get a solid 4.5/5 stars. It will also be better for ease of use, if you're one of those people. :)

I'm generally of the opinion that you can do pretty much anything with an SM58. Is it the best possible mic for the job? Not likely. Will it get the job done, though? Almost certainly.

Guitartastic is right that you'll want a pop screen. (If you don't want to drop $50 on one, just use an old hanger and some pantyhose.) And you'll generally want to stay right on top of the mic. The closer you are to it, the more of you and the less background noise it will pick up.

Nice cheap condensor that sounds pretty good is the Apex 435...you would need an interface with phantom power or a preamp that has phantom power.

Cheap setup for your budget...it would probably cost around $200...more or less depending where you buy it.

m audio fast track usb (doesnt have phantom power)

Apex435
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BvLmfCJg2Q

Art tube preamp (does have phantom power)

pop filter (screen)

If your worried about background noise and your using a DAW for your podcast I would add a gate plugin to the voice and block out unwanted background noise.

Cant go wrong with the 58. and for podcasting purposes i think an m audio fast track would suffice. personally i dislike m audio but thats because im interested in using those units in very different ways.

Back