Stand Alone Recorders ?

Biggfoot44

I am total rookie. Also 99% computer illiterate and hate them .

Not knowing what I didn't know , just this morning I stumbled accross the existence of Stand Alones . I was imeadately intrigued , as I *think* this is just what I would be seeking . In particular the Zoom R16 , but I could be convinced for the Tascam DP24 , or some other similar unit .

Fearing that in my ignorance , I was thinking them too good to be true , I actually call MF , and spoke to a Rep to confirm the R16 could record 8 channels at a time, edit, mix, etc , all self contained , with no computer involved

Is this a viable approach ?
Am I overlooking somthing ?
Is there another similar unit that is markedly superior is more or less same price range ?

If you can do without MIDI capability - I don't think there is another more capable and user friendly standalone out there than the Tascam DP-24/32SD. Four years in - I absolutely love mine. For the money - I don't think anything else comes close for what you get in one all-in-one box.

And regarding the lack of MIDI - there are procedures to sync with other equipment assuming you have a sync device.

You may hear folks comment about SD card errors and such. That is a thing of the past. As long as you get the *proper* SD card and update to the latest firmware - absolutely smooooth sailing.

It just depends on what you're trying to do. If you were wanting to sync up with a drum machine, for instance... a sync device would be needed. See this video for a better explanation. I haven't had a need for one (most folks don't) as I create my drum parts with EZ Drummer2 and just import my stereo drum .wav files directly onto open tracks.

YouTube

And by the way - I encourage you to do your homework and make sure you get the machine that best fits your goals. But - no doubt - the Tascam's are probably your best bang for the buck.

Should you go that route - and end up with a DP-24/32SD - the first thing you'll want to do is sit through the entire set of videos by the guy in the video above. Phil Tipping did an outstanding job of illustrating the many functions and processes via his set of homemade tutorials. His efforts are an invaluable resource for uswers of these particular stand alone recorders. You'l also want to check the Tascam user forum for the best support from other users. Homerecording.com is an excellent big picture resource. But for advice and info specific to these particular machines you'll probably want to check in over there for support. Phil is there, myself, and a few other very experienced users.

The All-In-One units are extremely powerful and very user friendly.

I have the Zoom R24 (R16's big brother). Both units will indeed record 8 tracks at once, and you can very easily add additional tracks which are in sync with the original tracks. Zoom also has a variety of DSP effects (reverb, echos, amp sims, etc). The R24 adds drum pads that aren't on the R16 along with the 8 additional tracks. An added bonus is that you can chain the R24 with an R16 and record 16 channels at once.

As with the Tascam, there are lots of YouTube videos which show how to get the most out of the Zoom. Its very easy to start right up with basic multitrack recordings and then growing into using more of the features.

You didn't say what your recording goals are. Will you be recording everything yourself? Basic acoustic guitar and singer or full blown rock and roll band? Real drums or a drum machine? How many channels at once will you need? How many total channels will you need? Will you be using it in a live music situation? If so, the Zoom Live Tracks or Tascam Model 24 will work as both a PA mixing console and an multitrack recorder at the same time.

Spend some time looking at the various offerings. Depending on what your particular need are, you might favor one or another.

While Zoom R8/16/24 operate just fine as standalone units, they have a strong tilt towards coupling with computer use, and (because of that) they lack any means to edit (copy/paste/move etc) the tracks, the display is very small etc. The other issue with R16/24 is that working with more than eight tracks per project is a major PITA.

For 100% standalone operation, I'd go with the Tascam if the price is not an issue.

As others have pointed out, these devices lack direct means to sync to other devices such as sequencers which can be a severely limiting factor, depending on your needs. With the R8 and R24 it's possible to work around it to some extent, but strangely the R16 lacks that possibility. A similar workaround exists on the Tascam.

Yes.......as Turre points out......the Tascam units do have a bit more options for editing and other things. Strictly as a stand alone.....and unless you need battery powered portability........the Tascams are the way to go.

Oh indeed, if portability matters then that's a strong point for the Zoom R-family - it's very light and works even on battery power.

Would be far easier to recommend something if we knew what the intended use was :)

If you can do without MIDI capability.

Glad I got one of the first versions THAT HAD MIDI.....It's a little long in the tooth now, but, it does EVERYTHING I need.

I have PRO TOOLS & STUDIO ONE< but never have recorded a single song on them, as I can never get it up and running LOL...

I record on the TASCAM DP24 & I mix on PRO TOOLS for automation

Speaking as someone who started on standalone recorders - first the Roland line then the Yamaha line - if you can master those and make good recordings with them - then you can master computer based recording. I did several projects on my Yamaha AW4416 - widely considered one of the best of all time and there is really no comparison to the quality ceiling you can achieve with computer based recording. Don’t get me wrong - they are great and I still have 2 of the 4416’s but they are limited. IMHO.

Obviously there's almost no limit to what you can do with a computer, so in the more-of-everything sense a computer setup is superior. OTOH sometimes less is more and some people actually prefer having limits. I for one often find working with and around limitations typically far more inspiring than an "anything is possible" scenario.

Obviously there's almost no limit to what you can do with a computer, so in the more-of-everything sense a computer setup is superior. OTOH sometimes less is more and some people actually prefer having limits. I for one often find working with and around limitations typically far more inspiring than an "anything is possible" scenario.

This.^^^

And, as has been pointed out ad nauseum in the stand alone vs computer DAW discussions.... *cost*. The raw cost of:

a stable, capable, dedicated computer
DAW software
interface/preamp
plugins
etc

...vs. $499.00 for a new DP-24SD which has preamps, editing capability, multi-effects, and mastering software all built in. Definitely more limiting - but waaaay cheaper and just generally great bang for the buck.

Back