Specific Acoustic Guitar tone

amra

How was this this acoustic guitar tone achieved?

Short MP3 Clip

I realize some of you will like it, some likely will not. I like the sound of the strings sounding "bigger" or "fatter" (for lack of a better description) than the average thin sounding acoustic recording. Is this due to heavy compression during tracking? at mixdown? Something else?

Thanks
Amra

amra said:
How was this this acoustic guitar tone achieved?

Short MP3 Clip

I realize some of you will like it, some likely will not. I like the sound of the strings sounding "bigger" or "fatter" (for lack of a better description) than the average thin sounding acoustic recording. Is this due to heavy compression during tracking? at mixdown? Something else?

Thanks
Amra

Yeah, sorry, but that sounds really awful. There's a (really cheesy if you ask me) chorus on there that's accounting for the thickness you're hearing.

Geez though ... it just sounds really rubber-bandish and very plugged-in.

But to each his own I guess.

Are you positive that it's an acoustic? To my ear it could also be a heavily processed electric...there's just something in the attack of the notes that seems electric-like.

What...you know that that sounds like? It sounds like an acoustic guitar being recorded via a magnetic soundhole pickup and then heavily EQ'd...

It's real hard to tell exactly what's going on, but I'd guess that there is indeed some fair amount of compression on the guitar for starterrs, but that is not the main "sound" that I think you're asking about. I agree that it sounds like there may be some chorusing there.

What is throwing me a bit though, is when he returns to the one (at about 3 and a half seconds) there is a substantial buzz. I'm not sure if that's a fret buzz that is really standing out becuase of heavy compression or whether that's from another layer of instrumentation altogether. It make me wonder if they've got some synth augmentation underneath the guitar that's providing the fill.

G.

Thanks to all who took the time to answer.

I thought it wass kind of a cool effect. Just sounded different, and I was not sure how they did it.

amra

I think if it's really an accoustic, it was a soundhole pickup DI'd into the board. And the chorus sounds like a VST plugin...

Ok i say its a direct acoustic or an electric guitar with mild slowish chorus, compression and reverb.
The bit at 3 secs sounds like a direct electric guitar with some distortion played by accident. Prob gonna come in in a few bars or so.
Just a wild guess, but sounds like it was recorded on a Boss BR1180 or something similar.

OK guys since you guys took the time to listen and offered some informative opinions, I figured I would post a clip of the whole first minute or so of the song. I figured since you took the time to respond you should at least get to hear where the heck the song was going.

I would post the whole song, because I really like it, and I think some here might dig it, but it is a commercial recording and according to my understaning of "fair use" copyright laws you can reprint or reproduce only PORTIONS of copyrighted material for the purpose of criticism or commentary.
So for the sake of learning, lets comment or critique it!

Last edited:
that reminds me a lot of an amp i used to use..

i wish i could remember what it was. i used to love running a mic for vocals into it and direct plugging my acoustic in.. it had that real fat sounding chorus as a built in effect.

anyways..
i can't access your second clip..

the artifact southside picked up on i would say was put there. if you notice it has a lot of panning on it.

i can see the appeal though.. all that terrible low midrangy type of noise adds a lot of .. ambience.

mess with some fat choruses and don't scoop the mids a lot. you should be able to nail it down. (i hope thats right.. i'm on gateway pc speakers right now)

Back