"Sound Enhancer"?

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
I recently came across a device called a "Sound Enhancer" made by Acoustic Research. Basically, it hooks up to any audio device and enables you to hear sound more detailed. It brings out those tracks that have been lost in the mix.
Here is more info about it:

http://www.tdsaudio.com/consumer.asp

I realize this is not extremely top notch, but I have a few questions if anyone knows the answers...

I record drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and vocals (mostly rock) through a behringer mixer into soundcard. I've been doing this for a few years, and have developed a good amount of knowledge with the equipment I have to get a pretty good sound for my budget.

My uses for this device would be to use it as a studio moniter enhancer. I don't want to spend the big bucks for a pair of "neutral" or "honnest" speakers that gives you your exact sound without any "sweetening".
Instead, I thought I'd use the Pioneer speakers I currently have mounted on my wall, with this "Sound Enhancer" to hear all of the details I may not be hearing (sounds that I want or may not want) so I can fix what's wrong.

Is this a bad idea vs. just using my speakers without the enhancer?

Q #2: Does anyone know if I could use this sound enhancer to make my recordings more exact and sound as good as I am hearing it in the studio on any stereo (as if they were listening to it anywhere and it sounds like they have a sound enhancer on)?

I hope these questions are understandable....any help from anyone WHO KNOWS or WHO HAS HEARD OF this device or similar ones would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

BAD IDEAD!!! Spend the money on a good pair of neutral and accurate monitors. Then you'll be able to hear the deficiencies in your recordings caused by your behringer mixer and soundcard.

It would be a good idea only if.....

It would be a good idea only if.....you could afford to buy the same exact "sound enhancer" for everyone who listens to your mixes. Oh...and they would also have to use the "sound enhancers" in the same exact listenting environment (equipment, room, etc...) as you.

Two words: Neutral Monitors.

Make your mix sound good in neutral monitors and you will be in good shape.

There is no such thing as a magic box that makes everything sound great.
The reason your mixes sound different everywher is because ALL mixes sound different everywhere. There is no way for ths box to determine what amp and speakers you are using, how they are placed in the room, the dimensions of the room, how much sound is being absorbed and/or reflected and what frequencies and make the proper adjustments to fix the 'problems'. There is also no way for this thing to know what you intended the recording to sound like. It would have to do that to be able to take your mix and turn it into what it is supposed to be.
If you cannot get your mixes to sound the way you want them to, you need to try harder or get the equipment that allows you to capture those sound...and try harder.

If you keep wasting your time trying to find a way around doing the work, you will never get anything done AND you still won't know how to do it.

Save your money for something that'll actually work. There are no majic boxes that bring out the hidden genius of your recordings.

on a similiar note.... I just purchased a behringer ultrafex pro.(sound enhancer).. how do you think I could best use it... here are my two ideas:

a.: run two tracks through it as a pre-amp dealy then into my A/D (prob vocals and guitar)

b.: use it as a mastering tool- send mixed project out to it and recording the output to a new track, hopefully giving me a shimmeringly execellent sound.(it is also a surround precessor)

c:. neither, sell recoup for profit - purchase better mics

thanks for any input....

Here's your 100K

Kkkkkkkkkk
Kkkkkkkkkk
Kkkkkkkkkk
Kkkkkkkkkk
Kkkkkkkkkk
Kkkkkkkkkk
Kkkkkkkkkk
Kkkkkkkkkk
Kkkkkkkkkk
Kkkkkkkkkk

Don't let any of these amateurs try and steer you in the wrong direction.

I read the specs on that thing, and it sounds like a winner. You should be applauded for being so industrious as to find a device like that that will make things sound better.

No reason at all why you shouldn't be able to hook it up to your stereo speakers and instantly hear everything with exceptional detail and realism. Screw the nay-sayers. This thing sounds like the real deal.

OK, I admit it

I was just jealous.

My comments were part of an elaborate ploy to steal the "sound enhancer".

The sound enhancer IS the proverbial "magic button". Just push play....FNA! A!

No rack space needed

It's virtual. A plugin of sorts.

The prototype is called "Virtual Sound Enhancer" or VSE for short. VST, DX and RTAS versions are available for download now.

chessrock said:
Don't let any of these amateurs try and steer you in the wrong direction.

I read the specs on that thing, and it sounds like a winner. You should be applauded for being so industrious as to find a device like that that will make things sound better.

No reason at all why you shouldn't be able to hook it up to your stereo speakers and instantly hear everything with exceptional detail and realism. Screw the nay-sayers. This thing sounds like the real deal.

I hope you're not being sarcastic!
I think everyone who told me "no" might have misunderstood what my first question was...I wasn't hoping I could push the magic button to make evrything sound good. I was asking if it would be useful in a way to bring out ALL the sounds of my recordings, GOOD and BAD, so that I could fix what needed fixing (eg.: an unwanted frequency I might not have heard as clearly).

Let's just say buying new neutral monitors isn't an option at this point...
What would be a better monitor setup?:
a) Use the Pioneer speakers I currently use for monitors which are mounted on the wall
or
b)Use those same Pioneer speakers, but along with the sound enhancer to hear some things I might miss without the enhancer.

My only concern with b) would be that I might fix everything that sounds bad, but what about the things that sound good. When I master it and play it on a different stereo without the sound enhancer, the things that sounded good might not be so good anymore.

To fix that I would probably just mix everything with the enhancer on, then listen to it without the enhancer and tweak the things that need to be even sweeter without the enhancer.

Thanks for eveyone's input, you're all very helpful!

RecordingMaster said:
I hope you're not being sarcastic!
I think everyone who told me "no" might have misunderstood what my first question was...I wasn't hoping I could push the magic button to make evrything sound good. I was asking if it would be useful in a way to bring out ALL the sounds of my recordings, GOOD and BAD, so that I could fix what needed fixing (eg.: an unwanted frequency I might not have heard as clearly).

Let's just say buying new neutral monitors isn't an option at this point...
What would be a better monitor setup?:
a) Use the Pioneer speakers I currently use for monitors which are mounted on the wall
or
b)Use those same Pioneer speakers, but along with the sound enhancer to hear some things I might miss without the enhancer.

My only concern with b) would be that I might fix everything that sounds bad, but what about the things that sound good. When I master it and play it on a different stereo without the sound enhancer, the things that sounded good might not be so good anymore.

To fix that I would probably just mix everything with the enhancer on, then listen to it without the enhancer and tweak the things that need to be even sweeter without the enhancer.

Thanks for eveyone's input, you're all very helpful!
We understood the question. The answer remains the same. You can make good sounding recordings on the speakers you are using if you take the time to learn their strengths and weaknesses. This sound enhancer is just a box that adds a little (or a lot) of EQ to the signal. It probably adds some 3k and cuts some 400Hz to give everything more 'clarity'. It is the audio equivelent of an optical illusion. If you mix through an EQ curve like that you will most likely end up with dull, muddy mixes. What ever this thing costs, save the money and put it toward a set of Warfdales or something. The sound enhancer is a useless piece of trash. Please don't waste your money on it. It will only encourage more companies to come out with more stuff that doesn't do anything but give the illusion that it is doing something.

Back