Sound Engineering

nicolaad30

I did not find a better place to post this concern...

So, I'm looking towards making some serious studies in Sound Engineering, I mean, the 5 year career at University. The main point is that I do not know a good University un the USA that could offer this sort of degree. It must be named among the others engineerings (like mechanics, civil, electric...), not a 3 year course... you know what I mean...

Well, I thank you very much beforehand.... if you could help me with this... :)

I would try McGill in Tennessee - I know George Massenburg is/was teaching there, and it doesn't get better than George when it comes to audio engineering.

Too bad in Canada, Audio/Sound Engineering is only offered in private institutes, which literally sucks! The reason why they dont have Audio engineering as a part of other major engineering degrees(electrical,mech,biomed) is because the demand for Audio is still small. Its more of hands-on work, rather than theory or sitting down and doing projects and assignment.

In all reality, I don't think a 4 year degree in Audio Engineering is going to help you any more than going to Full Sail or Berklee for a year and a half.

It dosen't take too long to learn the terminology and concepts, and it is pretty simple. What takes a long time is learning how to use them well, which is something no school can really teach you.

a friend of mine went into recording school in nashville and he got out within a year and a half, working under the guy he was interning for. hes now getting great pay as an assistant engineer, working his way to run his own studio. i say get all the experience you can. its probably worth more than what any school can teach you.

I don't know that Audio Engineering is any more viable a career than acting.

I know one or two actors who get some work from time to time. But for the most part, they audition, wait tables and hope the phone rings in hopes of landing their "big break" or whatever.

Really not a lot of difference from Audio Engineering. About the same percentages actually "make it." In other words, most don't -- regardless of education, skill and/or experience.

If you want a real career with the potential to support yourself and possibly a family and that sort of thing ... look in to the healthcare profession, or in IT. Particularly Management Information Systems or Networking. Then, while you're raking in some steady dough, you can eventually save up some money and build credit so you might have an outside shot of putting a down payment on a real studio of your own at some point.

Unless you have parents or a wife with a lot of dough who don't mind supporting you. In which case, disregard everything I just said.

I don't think its really that hard to make somewhat of a living doing this.

If you apply yourself, go to 3-4 local shows a week and pass out demo CDs and contact info, advertise yourself, meet bands, and have some talent you can really go far on a local level.

You might not be the next Chris Lord-Alge, but you can sure get a steady local base.

TuoKaerf said:
I don't think its really that hard to make somewhat of a living doing this.

If you apply yourself, go to 3-4 local shows a week and pass out demo CDs and contact info, advertise yourself, meet bands, and have some talent you can really go far on a local level ...

All of which require plenty of time and some money to accomplish.

Again, I suppose if you've got yourself a sugar mama who doesn't mind supporting your ass while you get yourself established with all of these mega-spender / rolling-in-the-dough local acts ... then it might be a good idea to pursue something else to help fund the initial investment. Or simply to have a backup plan. "Just in case" the whole rock&roll thing doesn't pan out. :D

but audio engineering isnt all about working in a studio anymore either. i bet with an audio engineering technology major and a computer science minor you could be looking into finding jobs at corporations and small businesses that dont have to do with much recording persay. there are companys out there that need recording software development, hardware development and other things. also, anything that has audio, needs an audio engineer. movies, commercials, business presentations, and video games. i think there are many opportunities opening up for someone with a degree in it who isnt specifically looking to be the almighty studio producer.

oh yeah i forgot to mention that my friend went to belmont university in nashville and its pretty nice. you know the pro tools studio A then they actually go off site for analog study at RCA studio B which is really cool. the university is also not too expensive.

I think the two best combos for an Audio engineer would be:
1)Audio engineering degree/diploma with an electronics engineering degree/diploma
2)Audio engineering degree/diploma with a software engineering degree/diploma

Either way, you could be designing/building studio equipment(circuitry) or designing and compiling softwares. Both awesome. I'm taking the first choice.

University of Miami has always had a good program, besides being a party school. My brother in law went there for a year, decided that Full Sail gave him just as good hands on experiences, did his time apprenticing at some studio there and ended up doing "Walk like an Egyptian" as his first hit. The rest is history.
But I am a firm believer in a college degree. Hands-on cannot be beat for learning a trade. You need both.
GT

University of Miami last I checked offers a EE degree with a minor in recording arts. I would seriously suggest going heavy towards the EE degree as opposed to the recording arts.

I mean with the recording industry shrinking like it has been, it's pretty cut throat and you may in fact be wasting your time and money to go stricly recording.

Plus at least with an EE degree you can get a job doing just about anything along with that recording minor you could even do electronic systems consulting or some white coller crap like that.

I know that Penn State offers a degree in acoustical engineering. Not quite the same thing but very relevant to recording. Plus you could find a high paying job with that one.

mrT said:
I know that Penn State offers a degree in acoustical engineering. Not quite the same thing but very relevant to recording. Plus you could find a high paying job with that one.

Very good idea, there.

That is a very good paying field, with much better job prospects. And it could provide for a direct link in to the recording arena.

Back