Solo classical guitar recording backed by orchestra - Feedback wanted

Mark Hussey

After hearing Concierto de Aranjuez, I set out to record my own concerto. A big challenge but I'm happy it's now complete. The biggest challenge was to mix the guitar in with the orchestra such that it sits nicely on top where needed without too much automation. I'd love you to hear the result and comment. It is however a 25 minute piece of music, but I'm posting here the second song on the album. If anyone wants to hear the whole thing I've also posted a youtube link to the playlist below the video here . I'd love to hear your expert comments, thoughts on the sounds, playing and guitar recording

Link to the full album playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc14xe9zwXSZutNOAcYTw04NCb0JeDgOo

I just finished a series of orchestral guitar tracks with the guy in the video above. The one I posted isn't mine, but is very similar in nature. We recorded him live with a full orchestra two weeks ago. His rider required us to use a Shure BG 81. In post editing, my signal chain for his guitar is Manley Voxbox, Slate VMR custom (low end boost), Slate Bomber (transient enhancer), Slate air EQ (with 4db boost at 30khz), out and into a Teletronix LA2A.

There are two parallel reverbs going, first an Exponential audio phoenix verb for imaging, then into a Bricasti M7 on Sunset Chamber. I went for a clearer less ambient approach than the guys in Vancouver...needed it to sound real present vs classical concert hall.

I can't post a recording, as the DVD is going up for sale in a week, but it was really cool getting to work on a project like this.

...on yours, I think the guitar gets buried in some spots. I would mix it louder. And I would maybe try using some saturation units to exaggerate some of the body of the guitar tone in the mix. Its a case-by-case basis on how much room ambience and reverb is used. For yours, since there isn't a lot in the orchestra, I wouldn't add too much to the guitar.

Hope that helps.

Good morning!

In general, I'd like to hear the guitar more. The playing is lovely, but I can't pick out the articulation so much in places around say 3:30 in the video.

I wonder what you might be able to accomplish with a little harder panning. Setting up the aural space so the orchestra in general is further away (and maybe the obbligato things are placed "around the stage") and the guitar is all right down the middle.

Here's the thing: I'd cut the orchestra back some first, rather than boosting the guitar further. You could also consider adding a very subtle reverb to the orchestra and leave the guitar where it is.

I enjoy the piece!

Not an expert here - just a guy who plays classical guitar and records music.

I think the quality of the recording is very good.

The guitarist - his tone isn't very good by classical guitar standards, but his playing is very musical and nice. I think his fleshy/thin tone makes it difficult for you to bring the guitar out when the orchestra is loud. So mix-wise I don't think there is much that can or should be done here.

Back