Sites which "re-encode" your MP3 files...

Armistice

Son of Yoda
I've just been playing around with getting Soundcloud files to appear on facebook... and I never really listened to this particular file until I put it front and centre on our FB page but it appears to have been mangled by soundcloud.

So I upload a 320 MP3 and soundcloud obviously further compresses it or re-encodes it somehow and the result in this particular instance is truly spectacularly bad... link below is Soundcloud, not FB...

We Are Not The Same

Can I assume that I'll get a better end result if I convert the original WAV to whatever the end bit rate is on Soundcloud (I'm assuming 128kb?) myself and upload it like that, than I will with what I'm currently doing?

Any other tips? I've never actually had this issue before... the others all sound OK.. weird!

Cheers

I've just been playing around with getting Soundcloud files to appear on facebook... and I never really listened to this particular file until I put it front and centre on our FB page but it appears to have been mangled by soundcloud.

So I upload a 320 MP3 and soundcloud obviously further compresses it or re-encodes it somehow and the result in this particular instance is truly spectacularly bad... link below is Soundcloud, not FB...

We Are Not The Same

Can I assume that I'll get a better end result if I convert the original WAV to whatever the end bit rate is on Soundcloud (I'm assuming 128kb?) myself and upload it like that, than I will with what I'm currently doing?

Any other tips? I've never actually had this issue before... the others all sound OK.. weird!

Cheers

You can upload the wav, so it doesn't recompress from an already lossy format. You might get a slightly better result from that, although they may have already optimised for MP3, I guess?!?!

CD quality stereo wave files have a data rate of 1411.2 kb/s. You can't just convert them to 128kb/s without losing some data. That's what mp3 encoding does. It calculates what is least audible and deletes it.

Probably the mp3 encoding you did removed some information and then the transcoding they did took out other information and the combined effect became audible.

Try uploading the wave file so there is only one layer of data compression.

Oky.. I figured I may have to try the wav.... it's just this one file though, which is weird. Everything else seems OK.

I'll have to find the damn thing now.... thanks:thumbs up:

At least it's not myspace:

Pink noise:

mp3ozone.png

Pink noise after being encoded by myspace:

myspaceozone.png

I imagine the stuff above the dip is noise from listening to it after it encoded. I don't use myspace anymore and this test is quite a few years old at this point. I did it to find out what myspace was doing to make music sound like shit.

Back