Sitar

there's a pretty sweet sitar Reason Refill. You make seperate samplers for the drone & melody strings. As far as a vst plugin, I dunno, sorry.

Has anyone in hear actually attempted to learn Sitar? I'd love to but the tuning is Kooky and the string names are very very different.

If you have the ability to use VSTi, SwarPlug is the way to go.

It can do most any Indian instrument, from sitars and tablas to santurs and all those other funny sounding ones. It sounds VERY good, you just need to have a little experience with programming to get it to sound right.

The Rogue sitars, on the other hand, are junk (from what I've heard). Here's the problem with something like that. It's not a "sitar", it's an electric guitar with a mute on the bridge and on the "high end" model, resonant strings. A real sitar is acoustic, with moveable frets, and not tuned like a guitar whatsoever.

One of the allures of a real sitar is the fact that you can play microtones, the in-between notes that you hear in Indian music that make it so cool. The Rogue, being a guitar, can't do that. Now, if you just want a sitar "sound", the Rogue should work. But if you have a little more cash, go for a Jerry Jones electric Sitar, they're much more reliable and have a better sound.

brendandwyer said:
Has anyone in hear actually attempted to learn Sitar? I'd love to but the tuning is Kooky and the string names are very very different.

yes I have one, I play it every now and then. its extremely difficult.

well, im not planning on learning a ravi shankar ensamble..i just want maybe some of those drone notes on some of my home recordings kind of like "tomorrow never knows."

thats why im considering the rogue sitar or maybe a plugin.

i have a RTAS setup but im going to look into a SwarPlug...anyone know of other plugins out there?

Rickson Gracie said:
has anyone tried the rogue "sitar" that MF.com sells?

Yeah - I bought one last autumn to do some jingle sessions with, and I was really impressed with it... I didn't expect much, considering how inexpensive it was, but it looks and plays like the old Coral electric sitar that it was copied from. Very easy to play, and it stays in tune very well. If you are familiar with the old Box Tops tune "Cry Like a Baby", the Rogue electric sitar matches that sound spot-on. I'd give it two thumbs up, based on the one I bought. ;)

FALKEN said:
the drone is not a sitar. I believe it is a tambura.
Sitars have drone strings. The tambura does drone notes as well (well, that's all it does). Montery Pop Festival '67 anyone?

IronFlippy said:
Sitars have drone strings. The tambura does drone notes as well (well, that's all it does). Montery Pop Festival '67 anyone?

Speaking of the Monteray Pop Festival, the Eric Burdon and the Animals song "Monteray" has a Coral electric sitar on it (same sound that the Rogue electric sitar produces). The little glissandro at the beginning of the song was made by strumming the drone strings. ;)

Rickson Gracie said:
how would i work that into pro tools LE chizzy? thanks.

has anyone tried the rogue "sitar" that MF.com sells?

well, if reason will rewire to protools le, then you just need to buy reason & set it up. :)

I used to have an electric sitar, I can't remember the make. Not coral...maybe jerry jones or something. It was cool, but limited. I sold it & bought a leslie. ;)

i just received my rogue sitar today.

so far i think its cool. its just what i needed for my home recordings. to me it sounds like a sitar and it plays fine. the quality seems adaquate. not bad for $299.

Rickson Gracie said:
i just received my rogue sitar today.

so far i think its cool. its just what i needed for my home recordings. to me it sounds like a sitar and it plays fine. the quality seems adaquate. not bad for $299.

Wow..thats pretty damn cheap! Sitars are usually very expensive since they are made in India inclusively.

I really love the sitar,dronzitar etc. samples in Reason..they sound great to me..hope to everyone else as well...me myself..Im Bengali..lots of us do play sitar..i never learnt it but i love the sound of it. as well as tablas(my fav. instrument ;) )

studiomaster said:
Wow..thats pretty damn cheap! Sitars are usually very expensive since they are made in India inclusively.

I really love the sitar,dronzitar etc. samples in Reason..they sound great to me..hope to everyone else as well...me myself..Im Bengali..lots of us do play sitar..i never learnt it but i love the sound of it. as well as tablas(my fav. instrument ;) )

its not a real acoustic indian sitar. its an electric sitar VERY similar to the Coral Sitar made famous in the 60s. it plays like a 6 string guitar with the sounds of sitar.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=519273

Back