Short video clip of my recent session

MessianicDreams

Hey guys!

Here's a short compilation of clips i took with my camera from a recent session. The band is called Electric Church Foundation, and the studio is called Motor Museum Studios, in Liverpool UK. I work at this studio as assistant engineer and had the pleasure of booking out the studio for 4 days to record with this band, for one of my Uni projects.

This isn't a final mix, in fact it's barely been mixed at all, just rough levels and a touch of 'verb on vocals.

Thought ya'll might be interested in seeing it :)

Electric Church Foundation @ Motor Museum Studios Jan'08

Here's a rough mic list off the top of my head:

Kick: M88 (in), D12 (out), Bass cab (out)
snare 1 : Beta 56 (top), 57 (bottom)
snare 2 : Beyer M201TG (top), 57 (bottom)
Hats: AKG 451?
Rack tom: Senn 421
Floor tom 1: beta 56
Floor tom 2: D112
OHs: 2xNeumann TLM 193s? + Coles 4038 (mid OH)
Room mics: 2xC414

Bass: DI, Neumann U87, NS10 cab
guitars: Neumann U87 (close)-->Urei 1176, Coles 4038 (room)
Rhodes: Neumann U87 (close)-->Urei 1176, Coles 4038 (room)
Keys: Numann U87 (close)-->Urei 1176, Coles 4038 (room)
Vox: Blue Bottle--> Avalon 737-->Urei 1176

Drumkit:

Mixture of mid '60s Gretsch kit and something else (Maple Custom kit?), with various snares and cymbals

Amps used:

Ashdown Mark King head thru 2x12 Eden + 1x16 Eden cabs?
Fender Bassman
Fender ToneMaster
Marshall JTM combo
Vox AC30 combo

Guitars:

Custom Les Paul
US Tele with bigsby and Gretsch pup in neck position
MusicMan Stingray

Just had a listen, man has the myspace video compression mashed up the high end! I might look into putting it on youtube if i can be arsed...I'll probably update this with a few pictures if anyone's interested :)

enjoy!

EDIT: now up as a youtube video...high end is still mashed but better..

Last edited:
Interesting vid.
The singer sounds like a blend of Bjork & &&& well Bjork Liverpool style.
The band were interesting though that odd beat in the intro was very offputting for a disrhythmic fellow like me.
I really liked the close mic bit - suits her voice enormously.
Ta

LIVERPOOL?!?! What the hell do they know about music???

(j/k! :D)

Seriously, I get the same error that NYM gets. The clip won't play.

G.

Wellll I think you'll find the scouser know a little something about music...

Now as for culture....that's a different story..and as some of you might know Liverpool has just become Capital of Culture for 2008. Which, by all standards, is the biggest oxymoron in the world. DOn't get me wrong, Liverpool ain't a bad place, and Liverpudlian's aren't the worst in the world.....

...but i wouldn't exactly call'em cultured!!!

LINK UPDATED.

Apologies for the crapness :D

Nice one bud. Liked the drum montage!

You might wanna make the credits bigger, couldn't read them!!

If I have time I might do a similar thing for some of my sessions, though it's usually the last thing on my mind!

Great idea.

That song could do well commercially, apart from the early snare hits.
Please get rid of them or nudge them forward a tad so they are on the beat.

The early snare kills the whole groove of the song.

Eck

Hey, that's some nice stuff you all work with there and the tune was sweet also. Thank you so much for the tour!

Now worries! Thanks for stopping bye :)

Nice one bud. Liked the drum montage!

You might wanna make the credits bigger, couldn't read them!!

If I have time I might do a similar thing for some of my sessions, though it's usually the last thing on my mind!

Great idea.

Yeh, couldn't seem to get the credits bigger..or more like, i tried and gave up :( Anyways, they read:

Electric Church Foundation (name of band) - The O'Ryan Concept (song name!)
Written by Electric Church Foundation & Becky Hawley
Engineered by Ewan Hails (me)
Produced by Frode Have (big hairy guy with blue t-shirt)
Recorded at Motor Museum Studios, Liverpool 10th-13th Jan'08
Filmed & Edited by Ewan Hails
Drum sequence by Ulysses Alvarez

What was the name of the band? I'm interested in hearing more of their music.

They are called Electric Church Foundation

www.myspace.com/electricchurchfoundation

That song could do well commercially, apart from the early snare hits.
Please get rid of them or nudge them forward a tad so they are on the beat.

The early snare kills the whole groove of the song.

Eck

You're joking right! :D

right??

I mean...that's the whole groove of the song...

Anyways, thanks for stopping bye and watching the video :) I can't really start mixing it for a few weeks now, but I can't wait to get started. The other songs are sounded pretty fuckin' savage too...it's gunna be goood fun!

You're joking right! :D

right??

I mean...that's the whole groove of the song...

Anyways, thanks for stopping bye and watching the video :) I can't really start mixing it for a few weeks now, but I can't wait to get started. The other songs are sounded pretty fuckin' savage too...it's gunna be goood fun!

No totally serious.
From a production and commercial point of view that snare hit is killing the groove. Its catchier and easier listening if you move the snare to on the beat.
Try it. :)

Good song,
Eck

No totally serious.
From a production and commercial point of view that snare hit is killing the groove. Its catchier and easier listening if you move the snare to on the beat.
Try it. :)

Good song,
Eck

Well..thanks for your input :)

I'm not gunna do it, but thanks for listening anyways :)

actually it was more than just a typo. it was me being a complete crackhead and using entirely the wrong code for the wrong thing :)

hooray!

Haha! Btw, forgot to mention I really like what you've got there. Of course being a Dead Can Dance, Massive Attack, Portishead, et cetera fan...I was bound to like it.

Cool vid, thanks for posting it. I agree the snare is a bit artsy for my taste, but art is always in the eye of the beholder. Left where it is I'd probably put a big wash on it, or follow it with a second hit, on the beat, either snare or maybe a single tambo hit. Anyway, it's their song. Nice job.

Haha! Btw, forgot to mention I really like what you've got there. Of course being a Dead Can Dance, Massive Attack, Portishead, et cetera fan...I was bound to like it.

cheers for listening buddy :) glad you enjoy it!

Left where it is I'd probably put a big wash on it, or follow it with a second hit, on the beat, either snare or maybe a single tambo hit. Anyway, it's their song. Nice job.

Yeh, at the end of the day I'm the engineer, not a band member..so it's not my choice. But either way i like the snare where it is :)

Thanks for listening guys!

Back