Short video clip of my recent session

listen i tryed to tap a tempo to the intro and the snare is just off. it bothers me, i dont think it sounds innovative, i think it sounds sloppy. since when did being off time count as creativty.

the snare is not "off", nor is the playing "sloppy" - in fact, the drummer's pretty fucking tight on those snare hits. they are just anticipated - before the beat.

man, i don't get a lot of you who are totally missing the point here. I'll say it once more, in big, bold letters to make sure that it gets into all of your heads:

THE SNARE HITS ARE INTENTIONALLY EARLY - ANTICIPATING THE BEAT. THIS IS NOT A PERFORMANCE ERROR AND/OR SLOPPY PLAYING

i think some of you need to broaden your musical horizons. just because it's "different" doesn't mean its wrong.

For the love of a higher being!!

This thread is turning into a replica of the 'doubling the kick' thread in the Drum forum!

ntnguitarist3 said:
Listen i tryed to tap a tempo to the intro and the snare is just off.

The snare comes on the 4th semiquaver of beat 2 (assuming the drums are playing half-time, which is how I'm hearing it). There's a kick on the 3rd semiquaver, which also a bit unorthodox. It is not 'just off', it is not 'sloppy', and DEFINITELY not 'out of time', it is an artistic choice. Just because you can't tap the beats in the bar doesn't mean the drummer is wrong.

Now, to MD - I really like the recording, you've left a great deal of space in the mix which serves the song well. Loving the bass sound especially. I forget if you said you produced or just engineered it, but the extra guitars and synths(?) in the background there really add something.
It looks like you had a really nice space to record it, sounds like you made the most of it.

Well done:)

man you really have a vendetta against this snare hit dontcha eck :P Perhaps innovative was the wrong descriptor - perhaps "different" or "interesting" would've been better ;)

Either way - the hit is staying firmly where it is.

thanks for stopping by :)

lol.
I actually like the idea that another poster mentioned of putting a long reverb on that early snare, could work real nice.
Worth a try.

Shaka,
Eck

For the love of a higher being!!

This thread is turning into a replica of the 'doubling the kick' thread in the Drum forum!

The snare comes on the 4th semiquaver of beat 2 (assuming the drums are playing half-time, which is how I'm hearing it). There's a kick on the 3rd semiquaver, which also a bit unorthodox. It is not 'just off', it is not 'sloppy', and DEFINITELY not 'out of time', it is an artistic choice. Just because you can't tap the beats in the bar doesn't mean the drummer is wrong.

you just made my day with that comment :)

Now, to MD - I really like the recording, you've left a great deal of space in the mix which serves the song well. Loving the bass sound especially. I forget if you said you produced or just engineered it, but the extra guitars and synths(?) in the background there really add something.
It looks like you had a really nice space to record it, sounds like you made the most of it.

Well done:)

Cheers. I've actually barely mixed this thing yet - what you're hearing probably had no more than 30mins of mixing on it. I may overdub some guitars next week on the end bit, something more chordal and melodic, because as it stands the stuff that's on there (2xgtrs, rhodes and weird keyboard sounds) are all "noise" type things.

For an updated mix (still a monitor mix as far as i'm concerned) and a better sound quality, download the song click here. This is still a really rough mix - no more than 45mins spent on it, almost no automation, etc. I think that 75% of the tracks have no compression or EQ (save what i tracked with) on them...

enjoy and thanks for stopping by :)

Wow that a great band and a cool clip. They have alot of potential.

I have to say though, I agree with the snare hit comment. I think its a combination of being early, and loud. It scared the shit out of me for the first have of the song until I concentrated on getting used to it. Sorry but I'd vote to move it back, or quiet it down.

Its funny, I guess its something the bands into. I checked out their song "Go" thats on the myspace and it has the same beat type thing going on. All I'm saying is that it makes it harder to shake your ass to.. and man, I wanna shake my ass. :D

Wow that a great band and a cool clip. They have alot of potential.

I have to say though, I agree with the snare hit comment. I think its a combination of being early, and loud. It scared the shit out of me for the first have of the song until I concentrated on getting used to it. Sorry but I'd vote to move it back, or quiet it down.

Its funny, I guess its something the bands into. I checked out their song "Go" thats on the myspace and it has the same beat type thing going on. All I'm saying is that it makes it harder to shake your ass to.. and man, I wanna shake my ass. :D

Go! is a song that I recorded with them during the same sessions as The O'Ryan Concept (the song from the video)..

Yeh, it's something they're into i guess. part of the sound they're trying to achieve; i think its good that they're setting themselves apart from the norm..

thanks for stopping by, glad you enjoyed the music and the video :)

THE SNARE HITS ARE INTENTIONALLY EARLY - ANTICIPATING THE BEAT. THIS IS NOT A PERFORMANCE ERROR AND/OR SLOPPY PLAYING

bwaahahahaaaaaaa....

dang I listened and then read and for some reason the Satyurday Night Live thing with the cowbell popped in my head.

cool studio and the soffit speakers are really large.

I thought the mix was great and very well balanced, good bass tones and the vocal was always there clearly and constant.

thanks for sharing the studio video, interesting.

now about that snare....:p

I really like the music to this. I'm not so keen on the vocals (I don't mean how they're recorded, just how they are) but that's no biggie. I don't know what this garbage about the snare is. If you can't pick up the beat then I just don't know what to tell you. Seems pretty basic to me, and I couldn't drum to save my life.

Excellent job. The mix you posted sounds quite good to me. My only suggestion would be to bring the vocals down a touch, or maybe just a bit more verb or something...stuff like this seems to utilize the vocal as more of another instrument rather than something that stands at the forefront.

I really like the music to this. I'm not so keen on the vocals (I don't mean how they're recorded, just how they are) but that's no biggie. I don't know what this garbage about the snare is. If you can't pick up the beat then I just don't know what to tell you. Seems pretty basic to me, and I couldn't drum to save my life.

The vocals are an acquired taste i think..sometimes i love'em, sometimes they make me cringe a bit.

Excellent job. The mix you posted sounds quite good to me. My only suggestion would be to bring the vocals down a touch, or maybe just a bit more verb or something...stuff like this seems to utilize the vocal as more of another instrument rather than something that stands at the forefront.

Yeh, when i start mixing it i plan on mixing the vocals quite a bit lower, especially in the last (apocalyptic) bit, so its more like an instrument and less like "aaaand here's the LEAD VOCAL part!!!". The updated link that i posted here is actually still just a rough mix, i can't have spent more than 45mins doing that. The band were anxious for some mixes cause I haven't got the time right now to start mixing it..

thanks for stopping by!

Back