Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Running a song through analog?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    My friend has an original, stereo Valley People Dyna-Mite that he runs everything through. Calls it a "deglosser" and I guess it does that. I see they're available for about $800 used, with new (mono) 500 series MSRP $599 (no idea if it's the same components). But, there's a plugin for $89. I'm tempted to get one and have him A/B it for me, but I suspect that between all the stuff I've got, I could get pretty close.

The pristine capability of the all-digital world is easy to get used to, but I think it probably needs something [I am guilty of leaving out] for some genres to still feel authentic. Whether that's a real piece of hardware or just sensitivity to the sound, familiarity with the canon, or just better ears, I don't know.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    You are already listening to "analogue"! There is no such thing as a "digital" speaker/headphone and no, class D switching power amps are NOT digital!
    Since the word "class" has come up beware of any gear/adpuff mention of "Class A" as being somehow superior. The fact is ALL decent small signal audio runs in class A* No mic pre designer e.g worth his NaCl would dream of doing otherwise.

The capture of the full dynamic range of an orchestra say had been the Holy Grail of recording engineers for nearly a century with 24 bit recording we have done it with room to spare. Running such a pristine recording through analogue gear can only add ***t. You might LIKE the ***t but don't fool yourself that you have improved anything.

I am sure if I could hear Massive's rig in HIS studio I would be blown away but then I am sure there is a LOT more going into that sound than just annyloggy!

*Even guitar amps said to be class A often ain't and they are usually confusing "class" with cathode biasing.

Dave.

Thanks
    Thanks, I feel like I am in the same boat as you, I definitely have a soft spot for older analog warmth sound and feel like it will be a perfect fit for my kind of spacey melodic techno. I'll read into it and learn more but in the meantime I think I will search for a mix/master studio that is equipped with high quality analog gear for my tracks. Cheers!

Thanks
    Ninety-nine percent of "analog" sound is in mixing style and technique, which can be done in digital. If you haven't gotten 99% of the way there ITB then going through analog gear isn't likely to make it better.

Thanks
    Heres my linited educational experience. In other words, I ain't no guru.
    That "analog sound' is the cumulative result of every single piece of gear that the signal is run though, as well as recording method and mixing techniques.
    In my own personal experience, here's something I've encountered.
    I'm doing some projects where I'm taking recordings I did 20 years ago and dumping them into protools.
    Some ended up sounding like crap. How could this be???? In theory the daw has an exact duplicate of what was originally recorded on a console to tape.
    Why it sounded like crap was because now that I could easily edit, I did. With wild abandon. All niose, mic bleed, ect was surgically removed. Final mixes in the daw ended up sounding very clean. But incredibly sterile. The original all analog mixes had some punch and some balls.

So I redid the songs without crazy editing, just some minor fixes, and simply ran the tracks from the daw through the console.
    Sounded analog again.

In short, that analog sound is a combination of many things. Some people expect to put a box at the end of the mix chain and it's going to magically transform it into that analog warmth and goodness. I think not.

Recording techniques, modern tape emulation plug ins, mixing techniques, skill and a good ear can.

Just one non-guru's opinion

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RFR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    Heres my linited educational experience. In other words, I ain't no guru.
    That "analog sound' is the cumulative result of every single piece of gear that the signal is run though, as well as recording method and mixing techniques.
    In my own personal experience, here's something I've encountered.
    I'm doing some projects where I'm taking recordings I did 20 years ago and dumping them into protools.
    Some ended up sounding like crap. How could this be???? In theory the daw has an exact duplicate of what was originally recorded on a console to tape.
    Why it sounded like crap was because now that I could easily edit, I did. With wild abandon. All niose, mic bleed, ect was surgically removed. Final mixes in the daw ended up sounding very clean. But incredibly sterile. The original all analog mixes had some punch and some balls.

So I redid the songs without crazy editing, just some minor fixes, and simply ran the tracks from the daw through the console.
    Sounded analog again.

In short, that analog sound is a combination of many things. Some people expect to put a box at the end of the mix chain and it's going to magically transform it into that analog warmth and goodness. I think not.

Recording techniques, modern tape emulation plug ins, mixing techniques, skill and a good ear can.

Just one non-guru's opinion
    Gotcha

Thanks
    so true

Thread Information