Robot voice - How to?

Mountainmirrors

kaleidoscopic renegade
Hi -

Does anyone know how to create the famous 70's "Robot Voice" like in ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky"?

Ozzy also uses it in "Over the Mountain" ("III'mm Freee").

Any reasonable facsimile will be great! Thanks!

Mountainmirrors said:
Hi -

Does anyone know how to create the famous 70's "Robot Voice" like in ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky"?

Ozzy also uses it in "Over the Mountain" ("III'mm Freee").

Any reasonable facsimile will be great! Thanks!

Oh COOL!

A fellow ELO Fan!!!!

*high fives Mountainmirrors*

- Tanlith -

Are you looking for live sound, too?

I have the Digitech Vocal 300, and it's awesome. It's got a robot setting built right in, and you can mess with it to make it sound like whatever you want, and save the settings. It works just like their guitar pedals, so you can switch settings during songs with ease.

It's $200. I've had mine since just after it came out, and it's still held its pricetag. It works great. Plus, it's not just a robot voice, it's got any effects you could think of. The expression pedal lets you assign certain parameters to play with real-time, so you can adjust a delay, or volume, or whatever you want real-time, live while you jam.

It's awesome.

There's a $300 version out now, too with USB hookups being the only difference, for use with recording. Although, you can just use the XLR out to record with, too.

Worth looking at, at the very least, if you want to have effect like that live.

Hey... come to think about it I used to have a set of schematics around here somewhere on how to make a cheap mouth/vox for the guitar... remember those? Nazereth used one in "Hair Of The Dog"

I'ma go look for dose plans... me thinks I'll be firing up the old soldering iron soon :p

- Tanlith -

If you're talking about making a "talk box", you might wanna try one out first before you spend a bunch of time with the ol' soldering iron. Those things can give you a monster headache and rattle your fillings out. Remember, Peter Frampton had lots of drugs (and probably dentures) :)

This robot voice tip won't cost you dime!

I know this summer has been hot and you have been using that fan to cool down with. Well, get right up close to that same fan and start talking. WOW!!! It works great.
:p
If you still have questions about this technique, rent "Tommyboy" with Chris Farley/David Spade.

Enjoy!

I heard the examples given on the site linked above. But how do you get that different kind of robotic sound that band like Zapp & Roger use if you know what i mean (also the sound used on "California Love" by Tupac Shakur)?

Back