Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ringos EQ settingings

Thanks

Ringos EQ settingings

Sign in to disable this ad
    Has anyone out there ever tried to reproduce the sound of Ringo's drums on early Beatles songs e.g. With the Beatles. I've been trying just for fun sometimes I think I'm close then I go naaa that's not it. I'm new at this stuff. I use a 1971 set of Ludwig maples with Remo ambassador heads.
    and a 2488 Tascam neo. This post is just an academic question to see what others may have found. thanks to all.

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    For one you'll have to start experimenting with a single LDC out in front of the set and then possible just one other one in the kick. Making it a mono sound scape with the drum set.

Tuning!!! Can't emphasize that enough. Getting it RIGHT at the source of the recording is the key.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    I'd bet that there wasn't an EQ used. That kit, in that room, with a D19 or a big ol' AEA ribbon a few feet away.

Thanks
    Yeah, I doubt there was any EQ used on the drums. Just a couple of mics and tea towels (and Ringo's wallet) over the drums. And as with all drummers, most of the Ringo "sound" was Ringo.

Thanks
    At some time or the other I read or heard it mentioned in a documentary, I don't remember which, that in the studio Ringo used real sheep skin heads on his drums, a suggestion by George Martin. I do remember thinking at the time that it was a reliable source. But who knows, could be more Beatle mythology.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Illsidgus View Post
    At some time or the other I read or heard it mentioned in a documentary, I don't remember which, that in the studio Ringo used real sheep skin heads on his drums, a suggestion by George Martin. I do remember thinking at the time that it was a reliable source. But who knows, could be more Beatle mythology.
    Quote Originally Posted by moresound View Post

Tuning!!! Can't emphasize that enough. Getting it RIGHT at the source of the recording is the key.

Again getting right at the source.
    Recording back then was so much ..... better at that then it is nowadays.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Master View Post
    I'd bet that there wasn't an EQ used. That kit, in that room, with a D19 or a big ol' AEA ribbon a few feet away.
    This.. I doubt he had a standard EQ setting he used every time he sat down to record drums.
    No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

Thanks
    You start with the Drums used and the drummer playing them, then the mics and the micing technique. I actually own a Ludwig kit the same vintage as Ringo's that we use as a studio kit.

Well, the attachment did not attach so here is a link.

Cheers
    Alan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ringo_at_abbey_road-jpg  

Thanks
    That is a pretty awesome pic. Looks like Ringo is using EV 635s's as overheads too!
    No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

Thanks
    That is a later picture when they started to mic up the whole set. Not so in the early years - one microphone at best.

Thread Information