Rick Beato about gear

witzendoz

Have a look at this, talks guitars, amps, Drums etc, but makes a great point about the quality and sound of instruments being the main thing about getting a good sound. Talks about amps also and about getting good amps sounds at lower volumes. I think you will find this interesting. Rick's channel is my favourite channel ever.

Alan.

YouTube

I subscribe also. I don't agree with everything he says but i did buy the Beato books and he is definitely entertaining and informative

I subscribe also. I don't agree with everything he says but i did buy the Beato books and he is definitely entertaining and informative

I should have said that the title drew me in, I don't have it as bad as Rick, but it's only funds that keep it that way LOL.

I do agree with him on the fact that the instrument first then the amp is the source of the sound and the mics and recording gear come next. I read here all the time about people that can't get a good guitar sound, start at the source, I just recored an album for a client with a friend playing guitar for him, my friend is a world class guitarist that used to be a session player in a world class hit writing studio and toured with a band that had No1 singles and himself produced No1 albums for other people.

The guitar was recorded with a single SM57, the sound at the amp was fantastic, during mixing there was virtually no EQ used and only some slight compression. The sound was the Player, the Instrument and the Amp. That is why people starting out here should listen to what he says about this subject.

Alan.

He rambled way to much in that video, like someone caught him by surprise and he had to adlib the whole thing...:D...but I've seen many of his before, and they are usually quite good because he had a specific topic he wanted to cover.

Me...I've been on an amp buying binge the last few months. I've also been picking up rack gear...but right now I'm kinda in a holding pattern, and want to wait for my new studio to get done...move in with what I have, and then blow my last big load on very specific items that I want or feel are missing to complete the new setup.
Once the studio build started, I decided to go "all in". :p :facepalm:

He rambled way to much in that video, like someone caught him by surprise and he had to adlib the whole thing...:D...but I've seen many of his before, and they are usually quite good because he had a specific topic he wanted to cover.

He has some ramble on videos, these are more casual and he does them now and then, I just thought that the comments about good gear over buying more expensive recording gear was interesting for beginners here.

Alan.

Me...I've been on an amp buying binge the last few months. I've also been picking up rack gear...but right now I'm kinda in a holding pattern, and want to wait for my new studio to get done...move in with what I have, and then blow my last big load on very specific items that I want or feel are missing to complete the new setup.
Once the studio build started, I decided to go "all in". :p :facepalm:

Ooo! Be very interested to know if you are upgrading your monitors and if so to what?

Dave.

Ooo! Be very interested to know if you are upgrading your monitors and if so to what?

Dave.

It's a possibility...but I won't make that decision until the room is done and I have my current monitors in there.
I have been thinking about it, and if I do move up from my Focal Twin6 it would probably be to the bigger Focal Trio6...though their latest Trio11 model is to die for, but man, that's a lot of $$$.

I do like the sound of my Focal Twin6 monitors, but think that in the bigger room, I may want the bigger low end. Of course, it could be deceptive, in that the bigger room naturally provides a bigger low end, so I may not need to go to a bigger monitor...but I have to first hear my Twins in the new room to know what they sound like.

At any rate...if I upgrade, odds are I will stay in the Focal line...I just don't want to go through another auditioning phase with other brands.
That said...there's a guy who has a pair of Barefoot monitors in great shape...but TBH, when I heard them in his studio, I wasn't all that excited about them.
They just seemed a bit too edgy...very forward...but then, it might have been the material he was playing on them, or his control room...though just based on that, I wouldn't switch to the Barefoot, but they are certainly one of the "hot" monitor brands to have in the studio world.

Not to mention...my budget ain't bottomless. :D
This studio build plus the remodeling I'm doing to the rest of my house is already going over what I initially expected...but then, I also expected it would go over, since most of these things do. They rarely end up being less than the original quote because things are changed, and items added once you get a better picture od what is being done or what you want done. Plus...there's the budget I put aside to add some audio gear...and I've already blown that. :facepalm:

Anyway...didn't mean to highjack the thread...but you asked. :)

Rick is a mixed bag for me. Some of the videos he does I like and some of the ones where he dives into favorite riffs or fills or the like I just can't get into.

Mixed bag here too. I like some of his focused videos, can't watch any of his "live" type stuff... it's all way too rambly and him just looking at his group chat and I don't have time for that nonsense.

I'll look at this one later. Mostly - I like his content. He's good with theory and production knowledge. And he can play the guitar.

Rick is a mixed bag for me. Some of the videos he does I like and some of the ones where he dives into favorite riffs or fills or the like I just can't get into.

I always find the "what makes X song" great videos really obnoxious since he doesn't really address what makes the song work. He just lists some of the theory of how the song is composed.
There's a podcast I really like called "I'm in love with that song" that does the same thing but much better (tho more theory light) in my opinion.

Yes but even busted crap amps can have their uses.

They work ok for practice and pitching into bon fires for fun.

A crap amp is not the same thing as a cheap amp. There are cheap amps the kick ass. There are also definitely shit amps that are shit for pretty much everything.

They work ok for practice and pitching into bon fires for fun.

A crap amp is not the same thing as a cheap amp. There are cheap amps the kick ass. There are also definitely shit amps that are shit for pretty much everything.

I agree that something that is "useless" is for it's intended purpose is empirically so. Life experience has taught me that most stuff can be used somehow, if only as a door stop or footrest. Or even cannibalized for parts.

sounds like insanity to me

I like how he defends the guitar amp insanity but says DONT SPEND ON MICS that's insane!

haahaaa… so buying 100 Guitar amps is ok, but buying 100 microphones is crazy....

this is like GAS gone off the rails...like his title says- at the end comments just use what you have and get something to the DAW...

Hes actually trying to "keep it under control" at the end, and he says exactly what my religion is too...buy something sell something.
Especially for us solo-HR mediocre shade tree hobbyists...

Confessions of a Gear Head | My Struggle with Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Last edited:
Back