Recordings sound stuffy ( bass guitar and guitar )

sedativ

Hello, I play in a ska punk band and we want to do somekind of a demo recording at home. The drummer made the drums in FL and I recorded the bass and the rhythm guitar with SoundForge 9 and the instruments were plugged in directly into the soundcard. Anyway, is there any solution to make them not sound so stuffy. I normalized them in SoundForge and gave them some volume but it seems like I failed until now. Can you guys give me some advices? I will upload the recording here so you can hear it. It may skip out of the beat and have some guitar-technique mistakes but this was recorded only too check the quality. Thank you very much!

Attachments

• Optimistul.mp3
    5.8 MB · Views: 8
" the instruments were plugged in directly into the soundcard"

You named your problem. The built-in soundcards in computers are not made for good audio a-to-d work. Read all the sticky threads at the top of this section of the forum about computer recording. First thing you need is a good audio interface, if you get one wiht an insrument input, you can record DI, but you'll get better sound by micing an amp.

thank you for the reply!

I do have amps for guitar and bass, but I'll have to use special mics or can I use a voice mic? I think my drummer has a Shure mic which is pretty good. Also, can I use a guitar processor or a preamp?

My bass player records his tracks from the line out on the back of his Ampeg bass amp. He also uses line out on his guitar amp which is a JVM210 - and it sounds surprisingly good. I always use a Shure SM57 mic on my amp for guitars because my JCM900 has a crappy line out sound.
Now the high end PODs are pretty good interfaces too and some have guitar, line and mic inputs and it is an audio interface all built into one. But it's not cheap. My recommendation if you are on a budget would be to get an inexpensive audio interface like the M-Audio and mic your amp with your friend's Shure.

Agreed.
My bass player records his tracks from the line out on the back of his Ampeg bass amp. He also uses line out on his guitar amp which is a JVM210 - and it sounds surprisingly good. I always use a Shure SM57 mic on my amp for guitars because my JCM900 has a crappy line out sound.
Now the high end PODs are pretty good interfaces too and some have guitar, line and mic inputs and it is an audio interface all built into one. But it's not cheap. My recommendation if you are on a budget would be to get an inexpensive audio interface like the M-Audio and mic your amp with your friend's Shure.

Back