recording w/ portable setup

Gelatin

My band is going to record 4 songs in studio this december and we got the idea into our heads that we'd record drums in a studio and then instead of spening money on recording the rest, buying a firewire interface (I´m thinking the PreSonus Firebox) to record the rest ourselves using a laptop. This will give us more time to really do all the small details and polish the recording.

I have done some work on Cubase, but these recording need to be of pro quality since the songs will be mixed and mastered by a (too expensive) professional. Maybe I should also mention that the music is heavy metal (think Lamb Of God, Mastodon, etc..) and we'll only be recording (not mixing or anything else).

So on to the questions: :D
1. Is the PreSonus Firebox good enough for recording Vocals, guitars and bass to import into pro-tools in the studio? (it comes with Cubase)
2. What about mic's - any types that we should be chasing? Also mic placement, recording area characteristics, etc.
3. Any tips/thoughts about the recordings? We've been thinking about renting a cabin to record. Good or bad idea?

Any tips are very welcome. Thanks!

You might want to consider doing the vocals in the studio as well. If its a pro studio, you will have better quality from their equipment... You could probably get by with doing your guitars and bass tracks on your own. I would DI the bass as well as mic it to give you more options at mixing time. Throw as many mics at your guitar amp as you can as well to also get as many options as possible. Again...if it were me...Id do the vocals and drums in the real studio.

Hmm. And while you're at it, you might also want to do the guitars there, too.

And the bass.

And any keys or extra percussion. And don't forget background vocals.

Anything else, you could probably get by just using your little Presonus thingie plugged in to your laptop at the cabin.

heh,
I hope we're not doing the wrong thing by trying to record the guitars + bass by ourselves.. we'll probably be doing the vocals at the studio like you recommended :)

Gelatin said:
heh,
I hope we're not doing the wrong thing by trying to record the guitars + bass by ourselves.. we'll probably be doing the vocals at the studio like you recommended :)

i don't think you are doing the wrong thing...go for it.

try to use a direct feed off the guitar and bass. that'll give the mix engineer something to go off of in case of disaster...

try to get the engineer you are using for the mix to take a listen every now and then though... and trust his advice.

vocals - the room is crucial in homerecording stuff...it's also a fun variable...i'd try em at home...

if it gets to be a drag on the project - hit the studio...

have fun-

Mike

Back