Recording Vocals - Not enough body?

adywhittell

We are using an AT4033 to record vocals via Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 into Cubase 8.5. (Great Mic. Great Audio Interface)

However they are really lacking warmth/bass/body (something we are finding difficult to define and not mixing at all well).

But only when singing. When he talks we get loads of body in the track

Example here (vocals followed by talking):-

Rob is going to post example links below

How do we get more body/warmth in the vocals?

Some older vocals recorded and sounding much warmer with a crap Line 6 mic here (Can't reproduce anymore):-

We've worked endlessly with EQ (removal/addition of mids etc)

An example of a mix with the new mic:-

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Last edited:
no point getting cross - you're a new member, and you need to make a few helpful posts before you can post links. it's NOT aimed at you, but the dozens of spammers who join each week. I tell you what? I'm a normal member, so if you send me the links, I'll post them for you. send the links to rob@earsmedia dot co dot uk and I'll post them later.

By the way, Rob, you may know John Knight, the vocalist for Iliad, as he's from Lowestoft. He's also the amazing singer from Synaptik.
On Fallen Angel (one of the examples) he simply kills it.
The rest of band are from Norwich :-)

Last edited:
I've never met him, but know the name. Here's the Soundcloud links - for some reason only two let me embed them, so I have put them as URLs instead.you have to enter the url manually - first and last one just won't parse.

Example here (vocals followed by talking):-

soundcloud.com/thrash-metalriffs/at-1-line-and-chat-amplified/s-5GzoJ

AT 1 Line And Chat Amplified by Thrash MetalRiffs | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Some older vocals recorded and sounding much warmer with a crap Line 6 mic here (Can't reproduce anymore):-Iliad - Fallen Angel (At Hell's Gate)' (with solo) by Thrash MetalRiffs | Free Listening on SoundCloud

An example of a mix with the new mic:-
soundcloud.com/thrash-metalriffs/2019-song-three-confessions-complete/s-fxIW0

ADRIAN

sorry it's a mess but the urls just wouldn't work with the h t t p s in front of soundcloud. no idea why! R

Last edited:
The SoundCloud tracks are marked "private" but I seem to be able to listen to them - not sure if it's simply because I have a SoundCloud account and am logged in, or there's more going on. Try logging in to SC?

Just a couple thoughts. The singing difference might simply be the proximity effect differences in the two mics. I'm guessing when your singer sings, he's not right on top of the mic? Maybe try different distances for the pop filter and have him stay on it so you can see how much more bottom you can pull in by simply staying a bit closer to the mic.

As suggested, get a frequency spectrum analysis of the new and old vocal tracks to see if you can pinpoint the difference. Maybe just some EQ on the vocal, and some EQ cut in the guitars, which likely are masking the lower end, will expose what's there and usable.

The AT4033 is rated at 100Ω impedance. Not sure if that's an issue, but it's relatively low based on my reading. The 2i2 is rated at 3kΩ input so it might just be allowing a bit more of higher frequency content (? help me out here someone) with this matching?

And, always try a different cable.

The clips are marked private but you should be able to play them with a link.
We are more interested as to why we can mix his vocals with the old takes (with the old set up - which even john can't reproduce with the old mic).
We have an image of the EQ differences.
We use the term warm/body but actually we actually don't know what IS the difference other than the fact we can mix one well and the other just doesn't have presence in the mix (even at higher volume).
We use Ozone VSTS which are very good.
This is the EQ difference on CurveEQ (using a similar vocal)
View attachment mic eq.bmp

Pretty sure private tracks wont embed^^.
Public ones don't need any special formatting, though. Just https:// address will auto-embed.

Pretty sure private tracks wont embed^^.
Public ones don't need any special formatting, though. Just https:// address will auto-embed.
Right, but, in Chrome at least, I can select the non-HTTPS text, right-click and then and click on the "go to" option.
View attachment 104865[/QUOTE]Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 6.50.22 AM.png

We have an image of the EQ differences.
We use the term warm/body but actually we actually don't know what IS the difference other than the fact we can mix one well and the other just doesn't have presence in the mix (even at higher volume).
We use Ozone VSTS which are very good.
This is the EQ difference on CurveEQ (using a similar vocal)
So, which is which here?
The one on the right has a lot of HF content that is probably not part of the vocal itself. Is it bleed, exciter, what?

The 4033 has a low cut switch. Make sure it is not engaged. Also, try getting closer to the mic.

Make sure low cut is not engaged as stated. IME the AT 4033 works best when treated like a small diaphragm end address. I like to lower the gain of the pre and move the mic closer to get the proximity effect helping for that low end. I would recommend messing with the gain/distance to find the best sound.

An inexpensive mic pre like an ART can sometimes help getting a warmer sound from a relatively flat condenser like the AT's tend to be

In the EQ bmp the one on the right is the old mic.
The vocalist contacted the studio and spoke with engineer (where he recorded the Synaptik album Justify and Reason where the vocals are amazing -check it out on Spotify - latest album) and he (and others who have analysed his voice) said that John's voice is not suited to an AT4033 (he has a VERY powerful voice).
He used a Shure SM7b which is much more suitable for a big metal/rock voice like John's.
So that is what we are going to get :-) Thanks for all the responses guys.

Mic prox sounds likely, but also compressor settings could account for the difference between speaking and singing. And it could be both given the type of singer.

The recording with vocal and talking is raw with no effects. In Cubase we use Ozone to mix/master the vocals.
I've just bought an SM7B. Fingers crossed. :-)
I have to be honest I had no idea a condenser mic like the AT4033 could be 'not suitable' for a type of voice.
Another engineer has also stated an SM7b is more suited to his high pitched powerful voice.

Back