recording VioVoce - a solo for violin and voice

zebra

hey,

i got in februari a recording vocal and violin << live.

i got an idea to record it, my question here is, who got experiece with this. how did u do it?
i got singer songwriter guitar/vocal experience.

gear i got

R92 R84 brauner phantom KM184 x2 mk 105 x2 mk012 x2.

my idea, R84 vocal and R92 violin on the sholder directed down, on top of violin. the brauner, perhaps from behind, on the violin??!!!??

km184 XY 3m, or ORTF 2m, dont know yet.

we got a day to experiment for mic positioning.

all ideas welcome.

also, i got the rme FF400, should i record 44.1 or higher? 96, or 192?
does it make sence? i heard for classical music they record like that.

thanks for your time, greetz Peter

http://www.myspace.com/mirellapirskanen the artist

Violin and Vocals

From listening to the artist I would suggest a simple approach. Her music is very calm and atmospheric. For me it would depend entirely on the room. So if you have more detail on the specifics of the room I may be able to help a bit more. I assume that it is fairly live? The KM 184 might be better suited as ambient room mics out wide rather than in stereo config.

Using multiple mics on the violin might be a bit overkill. Start small with a well placed ribbon mic positioned above facing downward. Also, try placing a microphone near the musicians ear I have had lots of luck with this placement.

You should listen to your Ribbon Mic and the stereo config together before adding any unnecessary mics. The first time recording an instrument is often complicated and you don't want to make it more confusing for your self.

My two cents

Back