Recording through the recording output in the amplifier is too low

AcidDrinker

Hello, I did so, bass> amplifier (via recording output)> interface> computer. When I recording on the SWR SM 400 amplifier, the recorded sound is loud and correct, but with the David Eden WT500 amplifier, the sound has no bass and is very quiet, just like connecting the guitar directly to the interface. Is it possible to connect a Di box (I have, for example, an pedal effect that has the Di box function) via the guitar input on the amplifier to the interface? Or some other solution? The amplifiers are from the 80/90s so something may not work properly.

Best regards Krystian

Not familiar with those amps but the one David Eden amp with pics I found on Reverb had a lot of different outputs, including a DI (XLR). Which output did you go out, and does your amp have a PRE level control like the one I saw?

It would be nice if guitar/bass amps all had the same idea of what a DI/recording out should be, but they do not. I'd guess most are sending a LINE level signal, but you can only start there, and then work out what might be going on, including knowing whether the outputs are balanced or not.

And, then, your interface might be the kind that only accepts a LINE input via the 1/4" part of the combo jack, and assumes it's balanced when switched to line, which it might not be. So, if you've got access to owners manuals for both pieces of gear, that might help explain things.

You can go direct from the bass/guitar or a pedalboard to the interface. If the final pedal has a DI out, then, assuming it's balanced (usually XLR), you probably need an XLR to 1/4" TRS cable for the interface, since most will assume an XLR input is mic level. And, of course, it's possible the DI pedal/box is mic level, in which case you want a regular mic cable!

Good luck. (Personally, you might consider just sticking with the one that works best and make a lot of recordings.)

Back