Recording Template?

BlueNorthern

Would anyone happen to know of a slick template for lining out arrangements for multi-track recording at different times in the studio? I am looking for a kind of "flow chart" to pencil in what part of the song is next, who plays lead on the breaks, backups, vocals during the chorus... etc. I am thinking of just using Excel spreadsheet to chart things out, but am hopeful that there is a cool one out there somewhere. Thanks for your help!
George

Are you more comfortable with a list of instructions for each part or regular music notation with "notes" on the performance printed above the staves?
I could see some clever use of Excel or Access to provide list-based cheat-sheets.

Actually, I am comfortable with either method, however I will be working with accomplished musicians who apply their own improvisational interpretations to the music in general. This is especially true when their particular solo is featured in the song.

I am trying to develop a "boiler plate" chart of any type (Excel?) to simply outline the arrangement to permit recording of different instruments after the initial guitar/vocal tracks are laid down.

It seems right to organize things in advance so as to preclude two or more instruments conflicting by playing fill notes at the same time on the recording. I have even thought about color coding the various sections (parts) in the arrangement.

I am hopeful that someone more experienced than myself has already covered the same ground, and will share their system with me!

Thanks!

George www.mp3.com/lostandlonesome

Back