Recording Superior Vocals Tips (Consonants, Vowels, P's, S's)

Trilltrax

As I listen to a lot of records (this pertains to hip-hop/rap) I notice that there are ZERO breaths. But this is not my question. My question is how do the artists and engineers get the words out so clearly. There is literally no spit, slurs of words and each consonant is so clean. Do they literally punch in every word? If so how does the artist maintain that level of intensity to add emphais to one word? Are there gates on these slurs and pieces of spit that accumulate in the mouth?

I prefer mixing over tracking, but I still do it when needed. I know this is something the artist must learn to perfect but i dont know if I believe that as much now because when Drake first started his vocals are clear vs T.I who has been in the game for years.

Lots of editing and cleaning up tracks.

You also need to use a pop filter or two and place them as far back from the mic as possible while still being able to record with a low gain in order to keep the noise floor down.

I hear talk of people doing multiple takes of the vocal and edit between takes to make a "master" or "comped" vocal.

That's the thing about professional recordings. They usually have a fair amount of time up thier sleeves which enables them to track multiple takes and then surgicaly remove imperfections later.

With enough time one can do almost anything, like going into the track and manually muting all the gaps between words and lines to eliminate breaths and so on.

I also think that it's worth keeping in mind that no-one will ever listen to your music closer than you and you'll always find something to improve. I'm reminded of an interview with Ken Caillat, who produced Fleetwood Mac's Rumors where he literally cringes at a certain point while playing back a section of a song, saying that it's one of his greatest regrets...I couldn't tell what the hell he was talking about.

Play your tracks to some regular punters and see if they cringe at any point. If they don't then you should be able to consider your job well done.

I think that, while all the above responses are valid, we may be over-thinking this. I don't think punch-ins, comps, or any tricks are necessary to simply get a clear, clean vocal track. I'm not saying all kinds of post-production isn't being used on most modern tracks. But the original question is simply "how do the artists and engineers get the words out so clearly. There is literally no spit, slurs of words and each consonant is so clean" Isn't that how a well recorded vocal track of someone who has good articulation SHOULD sound? I hear home recordings that sound clear, with no spit or pops. Nothing complicated there.

I think we're talking more about a good singer (or rapper) spitting into a good mic in a good room, and then post-produced with good equipment and someone with good ears.

technique. multiple takes. comping. good equipment. technique.

breaths are cool sometimes, and distracting other times. elliott smith has tons of breathing on all of his songs, but it sounds cool because he has a real intimate up close feel to the song. i don't think it would sound right on an aerosmith album.

as far as the clearness, RAMI nailed it. to eliminate spit sounds, don't spit. to get a well articulated track, sing clearly. p's and b's need a pop filter, and s's and sh's and some z's need deessing sometimes.

I think that, while all the above responses are valid, we may be over-thinking this. I don't think punch-ins, comps, or any tricks are necessary to simply get a clear, clean vocal track. I'm not saying all kinds of post-production isn't being used on most modern tracks. But the original question is simply "how do the artists and engineers get the words out so clearly. There is literally no spit, slurs of words and each consonant is so clean" Isn't that how a well recorded vocal track of someone who has good articulation SHOULD sound? I hear home recordings that sound clear, with no spit or pops. Nothing complicated there.

I think we're talking more about a good singer (or rapper) spitting into a good mic in a good room, and then post-produced with good equipment and someone with good ears.

Yep, I'm with what you said. It's all about the technique and the recording space!

I think we're talking more about a good singer

^^^^^^^To an extremely huge extent.

A very interesting excerpt from a 1968 Mick Jagger interview;

Q - Often times when you record, you mumble your lyrics. Is this done purposely as a style ?

MJ - That's when the bad lines come up. I mean, I don't think the lyrics are that important. I remember when I was very young, this is very serious, I read an article by Fats Domino which has really influenced me. He said "you should never sing the lyrics out very clearly".

Q - You can really hear "I got my thrill on Blueberry Hill...."

MJ - Exactly, but that's the only thing that you can hear just like you hear 'I can't get no satisfaction'. It's true what he said though. I used to have great fun deciphering lyrics. I don't try to make them so obscure that nobody can understand but on the other hand I don't try not to.

As soon as I saw the first post, I thought of Mick Jagger and a friend of mine that's got a great voice but is a very 'lippy' singer. She talks like she sings. When she calls me on a mobile phone, I can barely make out what she's saying. So often, I have to say to her 'say that again....'. Whenever she leaves messages on our answering machine at home, I very rarely know what she's just said.
Thing is, there are lots of singers like that. I've played with loads like that and listened on records to hundreds more. The whole fun of deciphering the actual words stems primarilly from the fact { not exclusively, but primarilly} that in many of the instances, the words simply were not sung very clearly. And as Jagger alludes to in that interview, sometimes, the sonic impact and melodic place of the vocal is more important than the lyric being understood.
You know, back in the 60s and 70s, christian rock was generally thrown out of town because in terms of songs and the performing balance between instruments and vocals, it wasn't cutting it. Because the emphasis too often was on the message. So the prevailing 'wisdom' was that words had to be understood to the exclusion of all else. One thing you got on many of those records was clear voices ! But too often, lame, uninventive music.

Different people have different kinds of voices. Some enunciate their words effortlessly. Some slobber and slur their words and are hard to understand. But what matters isn't really the vocal clarity, rather the overall impact. At the same time, there are thousands of great vocal performances across the decades that are easilly understandable. Diana Ross generally was clear. Erykah Badu has a throaty, lippy voice but you can generally understand her. Singers past and present fall into all the categories.
But in the end, I agree with RAMI. Being clear and well recorded does not have to conflict with feeling, volume and intensity. It doesn't mean your vocal will be boring.

As I listen to a lot of records (this pertains to hip-hop/rap) I notice that there are ZERO breaths.
Up to a couple of years ago, I used to continually challenge one of my singing friends because she wasn't good at controlling her breathing and used to run out of power alot and take huge breaths in the middle of phrases. For some reason, it really used to annoy me with her and so around 2010 I would consciously listen to vocalists when I was listening to music as I wanted to demonstrate to her how to control breathing. I discovered to my surprize that many of the singers I heard in that period took breaths while singing and you could hear it. It wasn't a feature of any particular genre or any particular era. So I conclude, it's a human thing ! Some do it, some don't.
My question is how do the artists and engineers get the words out so clearly.
Some do so artificially. Some do so naturally. Alot depends on the singer in question. And the available knowledge and trickery of the engineer when needed.
There is literally no spit, slurs of words and each consonant is so clean.
You know, some people just talk that way. In my job, I come across dozens of non English people daily and they often have said to me "How come we can always understand you ? You speak so clearly and yet, we can't understand lots of other black people or English people". Listen to a conversation between teenagers or younger kids that are just becoming aware of teen 'moves'. Many of them don't speak clearly. But some do.
I often would get singers to exaggerate their words, {"Farlow" instead of "Follow"} and make sure they open their mouths wide when recording. Many of these things sound daft while you're doing them, but once recorded, don't sound exaggerated at all.
I also like to get the preamps up as hot as possible without hiss or crackle and have the singer a good two to three feet away from the mic. Of course, this is dependent on the kind of vocal you're going for. I generally push the singer to get a good performance rather than do lots of takes and comp. Also, not singing directly into the mic is a useful way to go, going off axis.
But when it comes down to it, recording a vocal - for the singer - is a skill like any other that requires practice, disappointment and ultimately, versatility. There are no easy options - after a while.

Another way of minimizing breath noise if you don't want it is to turn your head away from the mic as you take a breath. You have to be wonderfully mentally organized and neck fit though !

Back