Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: recording singer-songwriter

Thanks

recording singer-songwriter

Sign in to disable this ad
    I am trying to record acoustic guitar and vocals from the same performer. I have a Rode NT1-A for the vocals and a Audio Technica AT3032 (omni) for the guitar. The problem is excessively bleed of one "instrument" into the other's mics. I am unsure if there are phase problems too.

Any suggestions re mic placement / recording techniques.

Thanks

Thanks
    With an Omni on the guitar, there's not much you can do to keep the vocal out of it. Keep in mind also that with an omni, the acoustics of the recording space really become part of the recording, to a larger extent than a more directional mic.
    Use the null of the NT1-A' polar pattern to try to minimize guitar bleed into the vocal track.
    Regards,
    RD
    [URL]http://www.myspace.com/twentysevenmoons[/URL]

Thanks
    I've never been able to solve this kind of thing, myself. I've even tried a couple of hyper-cardioid mics and still couldn't get rid of all the bleed-over. I finally just stopped playing and singing at the same time. I record the guitar first, then the vocal on a completely separate track. Works for me.

Thanks
    Come on, it's got to be possible! Bob Dylan and Nick Drake managed it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert D
    Use the null of the NT1-A' polar pattern to try to minimize guitar bleed into the vocal track.
    By the way, can you explain how to do this?

Thanks
    Use dynamic mics, with condensers bleed will always be an issue. The same will be true of all mics but if you use dynamics i believe it will be alot better. I would suggest something like a beyer 201 for guitar because of its Hypercardioid pattern.
    Bleed is always going to be present, you just have to live and learn to work with it. Listen to some of the tracks on my sounclick page, they were all tracked 'live' and all tracks had bleed on them, down to my use of Dynamic mics and placement i was able to minimise this.
    "Sorry wont Suture My Colon"

Thanks
    Figure-8 mics are your friend! Also, try to get a good balance between the voice and guitar with just one microphone. It can be done!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie_drum
    By the way, can you explain how to do this?
    With a cardiod side address mic, it's simply the opposite side of the grill from the address side. Try mounting the mic sideways, rotated so that the address side is pointing mostly upwards, maybe a 60 deg angle. Most guitarist/vocalists like to sing down so they can see the gtr neck. Experiment with the angle for the best combination of isolation and off axis coloration.
    This is assuming that isolation for the guitar track is already a lost cause because of the omni. Speaking of that, omnis have virtually no proximity effect (boosted bass with close micing), so the best approach to get less vocal, more guitar in that mic is probably to move it in close.
    Spend some time on optimizing this mic placement. It's probably a good idea to make some test takes of various positions, keeping notes, and then have the artist listen and pick with you the combination that sounds best for that room, that guitar, that vocalist.
    Regards,
    RD
    [URL]http://www.myspace.com/twentysevenmoons[/URL]

Thanks
    I'd try simply making a 90degree stereo-pair of the micks adn turn it vertical, then just experiment with placing, mainly the height... hairbrain enough to work?? .. I'm under impression 90degrees are less prone to phasing issues at least.....
    \m/ WAR OUT!! \m/

Thanks
    Maybe I'm overlooking something, but couldn't you record the guitar first and then go back and record the vocals?

Thread Information