Recording Rumba Flamenca Nylon string guitars

jordanmarcio1

Hello Forum,

I'm trying to find any tips on how to record a Rumba Flamenca Nylon string guitar using a single condenser mic. Also, any information on how to apply EQ, compression, reverb, etc to the guitar. Is there any online application that can provide you like a guide on what settings to use on reverb or delay or any other effect?

Thanks in advanced,

Jordan

There are no rules about what kind of FX to apply.

The very first thing you have to do is learn how to record the guitar as best possible. The FX are almost entirely going to depend on what kind of final goal you have, plus the quality of the performance, the recording, the equipment, and the space where recorded. You might not even need any reverb, for instance, when recording in a performance hall, or EQ, if the technique and guitar are professional, the space large enough or well treated, and mic placement optimal.

Compression is something that is generally applied for recordings that are going to be distributed because it's what we've become accustomed to hearing, as well as to compensate for ambient noise in the listening environment, and the fact that the microphone placement is much closer than the typical listener. I.e., it's something you apply but the user doesn't really hear it, though if it's absent, they might feel something is wrong with the recording. Because I expect what you are recording is more percussive than a classical nocturne, it might be that you'd require more compression than the former. But, it starts with the raw recording. (That same thought can apply to other FX if the intent is to produce something that sounds completely "natural." but, FX can also be used to create a recording where the FX are obvious.)

You might start with a recording without FX and post it the MP3 mixing forum for comment.

Back