Recording rhythm section to four tracks

flanneljammies

I need a little advice and direction on how to set up a session for recording bass and drums together in the same room. Here's the gear I've got:

M-Audio 2496 card (2 analog in, 2 digital in)
DMP3 pre
ART DPS (with SPDIF out)
ART Tube MP
SansAmp Classic
RNC compressor
Sennheiser 421
MXL 603s (x2)
Studio Projects B1
SM57s and 58s
Peavy Unity 1000 board (only has LR outputs)

I'm planning on recording the drums Glynn Johns style using the 603s and the 421. I'm unsure about which pres to use for which mics and how to go about tracking the bass (the bassist uses a number of distortion pedals and plays with feedback quite a bit).

I'd suggest micing the drums in whatever three mic configuration you like through your three "strongest" preamps (the preamps with the most clean headroom). Then, I'd take the bass direct, using the ART Tube MP as a direct box, and record it as a pilot track. Track the drums and bass at the same time, and monitor with headphones. When you've captured the drum tracks the way you want them, mic up the bass amp with the MD-421 and re-record the bass track with all the feedback and distortion; the bass player plays along with the drum tracks, and you don't have any bleed from the drums. Live long and prosper! ;)

Last edited:
Back