Recording rain methods.

Did he spend a lot of time on the aircraft? If so, the Wayne in Spain stayed mainly on the plane....
I heard that Elaine, Blaine and Shane looked at Wayne in Spain who stayed mainly on the plane to escape the pain of the drain caused by the rain......
Mind you, Blaine has been known to lie through her recently dentist drilled teeth !

One more thing: Is there a particular reason why you'd prefer to record the rain yourself and not just download a sample from somewhere? There are literally hundreds - if not thousands - of nature captures available and many of them are free. You just gotta spend some time searching for the one that best suits your needs.
While I think that sound effects CDs and sound effects sample libraries are fantastic, there's really no substitute for, if possible, recording your own. Sometimes, it's a great challenge. For example, I wanted a sound of a baby crying. I'd recorded one back in 2001 on my micro cassette dictaphone but it was not good quality at all. By the time I recorded my friend's hungry baby earlier this year, I realized I'd waited nearly a decade before something small and portable and sneaky like the Zoom H1 came along to use. And being small and sneaky has been great. I've recorded snatches of conversation and cusses and gossip in shops, buses and other places, fights on the streets, cheers at the olympics, teachers giving lessons, helicopters, sirens, birds, rain etc. And no one is ever the wiser ! That's part of the fun !
Some people just like to do their own. I want to capture a lion or tiger roar, next time I'm at the zoo !

To make stereo recordings, you're not going to want a pair of shotguns. You'll likely find a lot more use out of a pair of small diaphragm cardioid condenser mics. Rode makes a matched pair at a decent price point. And of course, the Oktava MK012 is a very popular mic at a reasonable price as well.

Shotgun mics are super directional and are used to isolate one particular sound amongst a moderately noisy background, or to pick up a sound the 3 - 6 feet away from the microphone (depending on the type of shotgun). Typically, their off-axis response is quite terrible - this is because they are meant to "see" the source as specifically as possible, with a minimum of sound from other directions.

Basically, the long gun is just more directional, is all. I use it when I'm out on the street in the city, recording buskers or helping friends with their independent movie sounds. The longer the interference tube, the more directional the mic becomes but it also makes the mic unsuitable for many situations where reflection might be an issue, like indoors, corridors, alleyways, etc. You really have to be conscious of which way the mic is pointing, where the nearest walls are and where the noise that you're trying to eliminate is coming from. I find the short gun gets a lot more use and often times, my SDCs get even more use still. If you plan to get serious about field recording, then you'll definitely need both a pair of SDCs and a shotgun mic... but I'd recommend starting off with the SDCs, if you don't have some already. They'll get you out there and capturing all sorts of stuff both in stereo and in mono and you'll start to learn which sources you'd like to use a more directional microphone on.

The "no wind" thing is crazy. It's a field recorder's worst enemy and you'll be fighting it all day, every day. Even a slight breeze inside a building from an air conditioner can ruin an otherwise decent recording. Wind protection is an absolute necessity and it is not cheap. A Rycote shotgun windscreen will cost you about $200 for the low end model. To get a blimp on a pistol grip, you're looking at like $600 - and these costs do not include the microphone, btw.

Plan your budget well and buy what is most important first. To start, I'd recommend a pair of SDCs and windscreens for them, a stereo bar to mount them on, shockmounts of some kind, if you intend to walk around with your mics while recording, a stand of your choosing, a great set of circumaural headphones, cabling and a waterproof bag to carry your recording device and all the toys.

Field recording is great fun, but it's certainly not cheap. It can also be crazy frustrating and rewarding. I look forward to hearing your captures! :D

Thank you very very much for your reply! I've always enjoyed sound editing but never really got into recording. But since now I need a HUGE sound library for this ambitious game I'm developing that will be very complex and heavily text based, this will be a fine excuse for me to finally get into sound recording. If there is anything I enjoy in life is creating stuff, too bad NO ONE around me feels the same way, which leads me to often follow my projects alone in the dark. I have these ideas on the shelf that I bet my life they would be a success... Getting carried away. I just feel energized when I talk about it... XD.

Anyway, I'm going now to look into the SDCs to check their prices. I'm currently selling all my music related equipment so I can purchase decent recording devices. When I get the Tascam DR-40 it will go with me everywhere, except maybe during bathing, for obvious reasons.

Is there any brand you recommend for the shotgun mics? I will need one very directional shotgun so I can capture close sounds while surrounded by other background noise, mainly while in the city. And I guess I will need a not so directional shotgun to record those more-or-less-far-away-sounds that will also discard some unwanted background noise.

My plan:
- First grab the Tascam DR-40 with a anti-shock handle and with a windscreen
- Buy a shotgun mic for specific sound recording.

By the way is the Sennheiser ME66 considered a short shotgun?

Thank you!

Interesting... I'm going to have a look at shotgun mics (I know nothing about them). Is there anything special I need to know about them? Like recommended brands / prices / models?

Thank you for the reply.

Thank you very very much for your reply! I've always enjoyed sound editing but never really got into recording. But since now I need a HUGE sound library for this ambitious game I'm developing that will be very complex and heavily text based, this will be a fine excuse for me to finally get into sound recording. If there is anything I enjoy in life is creating stuff, too bad NO ONE around me feels the same way, which leads me to often follow my projects alone in the dark. I have these ideas on the shelf that I bet my life they would be a success... Getting carried away. I just feel energized when I talk about it... XD.

Anyway, I'm going now to look into the SDCs to check their prices. I'm currently selling all my music related equipment so I can purchase decent recording devices. When I get the Tascam DR-40 it will go with me everywhere, except maybe during bathing, for obvious reasons.

Is there any brand you recommend for the shotgun mics? I will need one very directional shotgun so I can capture close sounds while surrounded by other background noise, mainly while in the city. And I guess I will need a not so directional shotgun to record those more-or-less-far-away-sounds that will also discard some unwanted background noise.

My plan:
- First grab the Tascam DR-40 with a anti-shock handle and with a windscreen
- Buy a shotgun mic for specific sound recording.

By the way is the Sennheiser ME66 considered a short shotgun?

Thank you!

I've heard great things about that Audio-Technica 4073a. If you can find one, you should probably grab it. Apparently it's got pretty high gain and decently low self-noise and is a good mic to have, if it's your only shotgun. Myself, I dig the ME66, even though I've read a few not-so-good reviews. I especially like it because it can be either battery-powered or phantom-powered, so if I'm going to be out for a long time and I don't want to chew thru batteries on my H4n, I can have the mic powering itself. The downside is that it's fairly expensive and is two pieces - this means that a) you've gotta buy two separate items (the K6 power module and the ME66 mic barrel) and b) the joint is a potential weak spot (water, wear and tear, etc.). Yes, the ME66 is considered a short gun, while the ME67 version is considered long. Generally, 7-9" is short and anything above that is long. I saw a mic online that was something like 13", which is pretty crazy, imo.

Btw, all shotgun mics are VERY directional. That's their whole purpose. It's just a matter of how much. Look at it this way: If, on a scale of 0 - 10, where an omni-directional mic is 0, then a short gun might be a 7 or 8 and a long/lobar gun might be an 8 or 9. A typical cardioid mic might be a 4 or 5 and a supercardioid might be a 6 or 7.

Here is the best video I've found on the web showing how shotgun mics work and the differences between types: Shure Microphones - Shotgun Mics and Video Production. Listen to it with good headphones or on monitors... It's important that you can hear the background noise when they're showing you the different types of mics and wind protection.

Here's a short little write up I found about Selection and Application of Shotgun Mics and here's a pretty good write up, courtesy of BH Photo/Video: Shotgun Microphones.

I've heard great things about that Audio-Technica 4073a. If you can find one, you should probably grab it. Apparently it's got pretty high gain and decently low self-noise and is a good mic to have, if it's your only shotgun. Myself, I dig the ME66, even though I've read a few not-so-good reviews. I especially like it because it can be either battery-powered or phantom-powered, so if I'm going to be out for a long time and I don't want to chew thru batteries on my H4n, I can have the mic powering itself. The downside is that it's fairly expensive and is two pieces - this means that a) you've gotta buy two separate items (the K6 power module and the ME66 mic barrel) and b) the joint is a potential weak spot (water, wear and tear, etc.). Yes, the ME66 is considered a short gun, while the ME67 version is considered long. Generally, 7-9" is short and anything above that is long. I saw a mic online that was something like 13", which is pretty crazy, imo.

Btw, all shotgun mics are VERY directional. That's their whole purpose. It's just a matter of how much. Look at it this way: If, on a scale of 0 - 10, where an omni-directional mic is 0, then a short gun might be a 7 or 8 and a long/lobar gun might be an 8 or 9. A typical cardioid mic might be a 4 or 5 and a supercardioid might be a 6 or 7.

Here is the best video I've found on the web showing how shotgun mics work and the differences between types: Shure Microphones - Shotgun Mics and Video Production. Listen to it with good headphones or on monitors... It's important that you can hear the background noise when they're showing you the different types of mics and wind protection.

Here's a short little write up I found about Selection and Application of Shotgun Mics and here's a pretty good write up, courtesy of BH Photo/Video: Shotgun Microphones.

That was extremely helpful! Thank you very much.
I've decided, I'm moving towards a long shotgun. It seems these are rare though, I can't seem to find any at amazon.uk
I'm going to try elsewhere.

Ouch, the long shotguns seem very expensive. I guess I'm stuck with the short ones.
How do Rode shotguns perform? I'm seeing some very nice prices for Rode shotguns, but then again, being less expensive usually means less quality. What say you?

Thank you.

The Rode NTG1/NTG2 (same mic--the 2 has a built in battery so you don't need phantom) are excellent. I used to carry one as a backup for my much more expensive Sennheiser 416 (defacto standard for location recording) and the differences were minimal. I could mix and match the Rode and the Sennheiser with no problems.

if its just for foleys why not buy yourself a watering can? or have i missed something? I just skipped through most of the replys.oops

I want to record environment sounds using the Tascam DR-40 and a shotgun mic for specific Foley sounds.
I read good reviews about the Rode NTG2 indeed. I think I will get that one. Also, can someone just clear this doubt of mine, can the Tascam DR-40 record only with the external mics or do I need to activate the 4 track recoding mode?

Last edited:
if its just for foleys why not buy yourself a watering can? or have i missed something? I just skipped through most of the replys.oops

Er... Because I think a microphone would record better Foley sounds than a watering can. Could be wrong thought, I'm just a noob in sound recording.

The sound of water drops hitting the lawn/dirt would be the same no matter how they were produced.

With a watering can you are in a controlled environment with the opportunity for many takes without you or gear getting wet.

Kinda like in the golden era of radio all sound FX was accomplished live. Google up that fact and read up on it for it's all very interesting especially in this day and age of FX sounds being just a mouse click away on the net.

Stuff like crinkling cellophane sounds just like a roaring fire, coal in a cardboard box moved side to side sounds like marching soldiers .. etc.
This is a much forgotten trade and shouldn't be lost.

Last edited:
The sound of water drops hitting the lawn/dirt would be the same no matter how they were produced.

With a watering can you are in a controlled environment with the opportunity for many takes without you or gear getting wet.

Kinda like in the golden era of radio all sound FX was accomplished live. Google up that fact and read up on it for it's all very interesting especially in this day and age of FX sounds being just a mouse click away on the net.

Stuff like crinkling cellophane sounds just like a roaring fire, coal in a cardboard moved side to side sounds like marching soldiers .. etc.
This is a much forgotten trade and shouldn't be lost.

Yes I understand that, but I guess a watering can would be too cumbersome to recreate a true raining environment. I would need to record it several times and than mix it up at different sound levels with different frequencies in other to recreate believable environment. It can be a solution thought, for simple Foley water sounds.

And the star wars door sounds were paper being pulled out of an envelope.
AFAIK, that's true.

Yes and the sound of the lasers was a spoon tapped upon telephone pole guide wires.
I tested that and unbelievably the sound of that is true to the movies.

I hope it helps.
it's got to be worth a punt i really think your over thinking it though. Just me?

Yes I understand that, but I guess a watering can would be too cumbersome to recreate a true raining environment. I would need to record it several times and than mix it up at different sound levels with different frequencies in other to recreate believable environment. It can be a solution thought, for simple Foley water sounds.

Yes ... so as you can see Endorya, there will be a lot of fun making your own sound FX's. ;)
That just may be better than what nature has to offer.

I hope it helps.
it's got to be worth a punt i really think your over thinking it though. Just me?

It is definitely worth the shot, mainly during summer ;). But I was referring since my first post, on how to exploit nature and how to best record it. In this case, rain. Maybe I wasn't that that detailed. My bad then :)

maybe look into a parabolic mic set up for nature stuff too. (if i remember the name right)

Back