Recording rain methods.

The recording was not for commercial use. I would make something out of plastic sheet in an inverted 'V' shape, line the inside with cloth or old carpet and put the mic close to an opening, as there would be no flat 'roof' and steep sides there would not be much for the rain to make a sound on.

You know, I've actually thought about that but it would only work for rain without wind, otherwise rain might hit the shelter's sides quite hard as it won't fall in a straight line. But it is definitely worth the shot. I'm not sure if plastic would be the ideal material but with the right isolation, it could just work.

Adding some cheap fabric/carpet to this might help. Of course, the weight would increase considerably as the fabric becomes saturated with water but if you've built your shelter well, it shouldn't be a problem.

I've seen some really creative ideas for capturing various nature sounds, including one where a guy installed a mic and recording device into some tupperware, camouflaged it and left it in the woods for a couple of days, so that he could get the sounds of birds, deer, coyotes, etc., as they went about their business.

Adding some cheap fabric/carpet to this might help. Of course, the weight would increase considerably as the fabric becomes saturated with water but if you've built your shelter well, it shouldn't be a problem.

I've seen some really creative ideas for capturing various nature sounds, including one where a guy installed a mic and recording device into some tupperware, camouflaged it and left it in the woods for a couple of days, so that he could get the sounds of birds, deer, coyotes, etc., as they went about their business.

That's what I call being an hardcore Foley lover. I really wish I had the time to do something like that, I mean, being able to camp in nature for a couple of days. I'm already imagining being inside a tent with my wife and the dog we took from the streets last year. She reading a book, Coollie (the she-dog Border Collie) sleeping next to us while me on the laptop reviewing all the recordings.

Leaving the mic alone in the woods would not work... Unless I owned that land.

Last edited:
Been thinking...
Don't want to get all "existensial" on everyone's A but surely rain is like photons? Can't hear/see it except by what it hits.

Thus you can record "rain hits concrete
Rain hits tent
Rain hits tin roof OR.......rain hits microphone

On another tack. I would guess you FX guys would often need a very low noise setup?
Well Audio Technica have just released a mic with a noise level of just 5dBA. Ok that on its own is only 1dB better than the NT2A but the AT has the stonking sensitivity of 56.2mV/Pa. It can also handle 146dBA SPL.

Snag? Just a quid short of 3 grand!

Dave.

Been thinking...
Don't want to get all "existensial" on everyone's A but surely rain is like photons? Can't hear/see it except by what it hits.

Thus you can record "rain hits concrete
Rain hits tent
Rain hits tin roof OR.......rain hits microphone

That's me plan, to record rain at different distances with different intensities, hitting different types of surfaces :D Plus me getting a cold. Can't wait to try it!

That's me plan, to record rain at different distances with different intensities, hitting different types of surfaces :D Plus me getting a cold. Can't wait to try it!

Ah! You might like to compare real rain sounds with various reversed biased diode noise generators? Might save your derrier for a quick effect sometime?

Dave.

Didn't follow the whole post
You should next time. You might discover that many of us that use sound effects are far more inclined towards capturing them ourselves. For example, I've captured planes and helicopters as they flew overhead but I want some good ones of planes taking off and landing so I plan on heading out to the exit off the M25 that leads to Heathrow airport where I will gorge myself on them. Over the past 13 years, while driving down that motorway, I've seen and heard so many planes taking off and landing.

It is to capture the birds that my wife spends a fortune feeding.
One January morning at about 3.50am, I was just getting into my van to head to work and I was suddenly conscious of the racket the birds were making, all different kinds of noises. I quickly turned on the Zoom H1 {I often carry it about with me on the off chance I'll capture interesting sounds} and got a couple of minutes of the birds of Kingsbury. Brilliant ! Noisy, but willing, creatures.

I hope those deer and coyotes paid him handsomely for his silence......:D

Leaving the mic alone in the woods would not work... Unless I owned that land.
Yeah, unless you disguise it well, gone are the days when you could comfortably leave something like a mic in the woods. Everything has it's value to someone these days.
Unfortunately.

Well, you can see it. Pretty clearly. But yeah, when we talk about recording rain, it's really the sound of rain hitting that one is talking about. It's a bit like wind. The wind itself doesn't really have a sound, it's 'sound' is defined by what it runs into or through. So those great wind sounds are more windbowls than actual wind. But we know what we mean by it !
On another tack. I would guess you FX guys would often need a very low noise setup?
On the Zoom H1, there's an input level meter that runs from 1~100. I generally have it on a setting of 72 to capture conversation and general noise but for loud things like fire engine sirens as they get close up and the like, I've found that settings as low as 25 are ideal and when I feed them into my DAW, you can easilly bring a low level up high without any distortion.
As you may have deduced, I'm a big fan of the Zoom H1. It's small, easilly fits in my pocket, is convenient and has a good range aqnd you get nice clear recordings. Just right for an amateur and a cheapskate !

Yes G.T. I know you can see rain! I meant photons.
A ray of light is invisible, it can only be seen by the dust etc in its path.

Re low noise equipment I meant the capturing of very low level sounds without system noise intruding? This might however be more the province of the wildlife/creepy-crawly recordists!

(btw: years ago I saw plans on how to build a "balanced contact carbon rod" mic that could detect a fly landing on it into cans!)

Dave.

Dreary day outside today as it's getting ready to rain soon - when I thought I heard it start to rain.
Turns out ..... one of my sons was in the shower!
Funny, it sounded like a real rainstorm. :rolleyes:

You should next time. You might discover that many of us that use sound effects are far more inclined towards capturing them ourselves. For example, I've captured planes and helicopters as they flew overhead but I want some good ones of planes taking off and landing so I plan on heading out to the exit off the M25 that leads to Heathrow airport where I will gorge myself on them. Over the past 13 years, while driving down that motorway, I've seen and heard so many planes taking off and landing.

Luton used to be my go to place for recording airplanes because there was a viewing area very close to the side of the runway (and the taxiway came literally right by the viewing area if the wind was in the right direction.). I don't know if this is still the case--I heard they've tightened up on security.

For less common aircraft types, watch for flying days at the SHUTTLEWORTH COLLECTION and DUXFORD AERODROME. Both are great days out.

(Yeah, I just like watching airplanes as much as recording them.)

Funnilly enough, I picked up a friend from Luton last wednesday and she's flying back out from there tonight. You certainly get closer to the runway than Heathrow or Gatwick. The only problem with Luton is that they're now optimized for a speedy turnover so you can't keep a car there for longer than 10 minutes ~ unless you want a nice £80 fine. You can pick up and drop off and it costs a quid, but just try and outstay your welcome......
I've flown from there a couple of times and it's more like a tube station than an airport. I like it for that. Everything is very speedy.

Funnilly enough, I picked up a friend from Luton last wednesday and she's flying back out from there tonight. You certainly get closer to the runway than Heathrow or Gatwick. The only problem with Luton is that they're now optimized for a speedy turnover so you can't keep a car there for longer than 10 minutes ~ unless you want a nice £80 fine. You can pick up and drop off and it costs a quid, but just try and outstay your welcome......
I've flown from there a couple of times and it's more like a tube station than an airport. I like it for that. Everything is very speedy.

Lorraine Chase was quite fond....

Dave.

There used to be a spectators' area towards the east end of the runway--complete with free parking and a snack bar. It's a sad day for plane watchers and recorders if it's been closed for security reasons!

Edited to add: Just checked Google Earth and the spectator area, car park and even the road that used to go there are all gone. Ruined my day, this has!

Back