Recording outdoors with the MixPre-6 and Rode NTG-2

wcameron

I'm a long-time podcaster but I'm new to recording outdoor ambient sounds. I just invested in the MixPre-6 and the Rode NTG-2 Microphone. I've been playing around and I keep running into the same problem I encountered with my Zoom H4n. When I'm recording live, I look at the levels of the recorder to try to hit a peak level of -12 and all looks good. Then I take them into Adobe Audition, and they peak around -30 or -40. They are all left channel mono tracks using either dynamic mics or (in todays example) the Rode NTG-2 on phantom power.

Any help is appreciated.

Sound Devices MixPre-3 |

The above is an in depth review of the two recorders and might give some insight? However, recording a single mic will give a single track, mono recording. If you want a double mono 2 track recording, and the recorder does not give the option, you will need to feed two mic channels at once. XLR splitter cable.

In Samplitude you can set a single, left say, input to record both tracks but I have never seen that function in any other DAW.

The replay level is more mysterious? Make a recording at bob on -18dBFS of a "noise" FM interstation hiss on the jam jar radio e.g. Put the SD card into the PC (or use a USB adaptor) check level and if it ain't neg 18, come back but DO post the clip (320k MP3 attachment please)

Dave.

Thanks so much. I think I found the problem. The MixPre-6 by default records the pre-fader volume. That meant that adjustments that I made with the fader knobs to increase or decrease levels weren't reflected in the track - just the mic gain. I found a setting that made the recordings post-fade and that seems to have fixed it.

Back