Recording my piano with mono output

edward0328

Hey guys, I have a question, Is it better to record piano in mono or stereo. Reason why im asking this is because i have a Yamaha keyboard (Portable grand DGX-500) and want to connect it to my computer. It has one output. So do i connect this into one channel in my interface?
I already tried this and recorded but the sound isnt "full". It would be better using a VST inside pro tools.
I dont know if this makes sense but can I somehow use the mono output i have and create a stereo signal into the interface to get a fuller sound?
-Thanks

It sounds like the DGX-500 (from description at Yamaha) is a stereo keyboard. The output should be stereo, thus resulting in your need to purchase one of THESE cables, to connect to two inputs of your interface, then pan them.

I dont know if this makes sense but can I somehow use the mono output i have and create a stereo signal into the interface to get a fuller sound?
-Thanks

No. If you record in stereo you can mix it down to mono in your DAW at any time--but once you have a mono signal, you can never recreate true stereo.

Back