Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recording My First Orchestra

Thanks

Question Recording My First Orchestra

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello everyone my name is Gwilym and i am a music technology student.
    I am going to be recording a choir, six soloists and an orchestra in a big church in april and i was just wondering how i would mic it all up.
    I have listened to verdies requiem in this church before and the acoustics are spot on in my humble opinion.

I am waiting on the organizers to get back to me about the exact instruments that will be there and also a floor plan to where the instruments and people will be situated. I will be going down there to do some measurements on monday so im sorry if i seem a little vague

Here are the microphones that are available to me

Shure SM58's

Earthworks QTC 1's

Sontronics Orpheuse's

Sontronics stc1's

AKG 414's

Neumann U87's

Sennheiser 421's

and more...........

Im thinking of doing a decca tree configuration with an earthworks qtc1 in the middle and the 414s as outriggers, however this may be a bit of an eyesore/ health and safety issue, so im going to have to come up with another plan for the main pair just incase. does anyone have any ideas?

maybe spaced cardioid akg 414's with earthworks omni in the middle?
    or some sort of ortf or blumlein configuration

my next question is what would be a good spot microphone for different sections of the orchestra?

what would be a good microphone to use for each of the six soloists?

i think i would also like to use something towards the back of the church for ambience aswell, which mics could be good for this?

if you have any further questions please dont hesitate to ask, i will try my best to answer them.

Go easy on me peeps

Thanks
    Seems like a pretty cool project man.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of the mics listed so no help there.
    Is this going to be a one time shot you get at this or will you have a little time for mic and placement experimentation?

If the room sounds good acoustically, I think I'd start with my best condensers in a spaced pair first and add "spot" mics as needed.

BUT....I have no experience with this type of tracking so pay no attention the the dog with bad breath.

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    Now this is just for recording right? No live sound support?
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    I have all of the microphones that you have mentioned but the Orpheuse.
    How many Earthworks QTC do you have? For two of them in an X Y configuration would work just fine.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moresound View Post
    I have all of the microphones that you have mentioned but the Orpheuse.
    How many Earthworks QTC do you have? For two of them in an X Y configuration would work just fine.
    I have access to four of them i think. No there isn't any live sound support. I have never thought of crossing to earthworks. would this work very well considering they are omni?
    would i loose the edges of the ensemble doing this?

Thanks
    For your very first orchestral recording I wouldn't advise Decca Tree as the go-to mic array. Because it forces you to do just the slightest bit more than simply find a good location for the mics; you also have to decide (either during the performance, or subsequently in mixdown) what exactly to do with the forward mic. Not that the results can't be excellent, just that I think for your first foray you want to Keep It Simple.

Especially since you say the acoustics are spot-on, I would start with a Blumlein pair using either the AKG 414s or the Neumann U-87s. See if you can get 85-90% of a finished product from that main stereo pair. Then use spot mics for whatever soloists aren't quite cutting it.

As an alternate idea: coincident X/Y (again, with either the AKG 414s or the Neumann U-87s) for the main pair, and then rig the two QTC-1s as a widely spaced A/B pair for more temporal cues & ambience.

Thanks
    Can you get a full rehearsal there so you can do a sound check, I would then set up a couple of the options and switch between them to so what works best.

Cheers
    Alan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post

As an alternate idea: coincident X/Y (again, with either the AKG 414s or the Neumann U-87s) for the main pair, and then rig the two QTC-1s as a widely spaced A/B pair for more temporal cues & ambience.
    yes i like this idea. i dont think i can do the blumlein as i dont have the right sort of stands.
    How far away shall i position the pair and outriggers away from the ensemble and how high, im thinking about 10 - 12 feet.
    also what spot mics shall i use for the different parts of the orchestra?

cheers for your help bob its greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    Can you get a full rehearsal there so you can do a sound check, I would then set up a couple of the options and switch between them to so what works best.

Cheers
    Alan.
    yes i will be hopefully but i just want to get a solid plan first and then i will bring extra mics for that reason

Thanks
    this is where i will be recording. im going there on monday to get some measurements and get a proper idea of the space in which i will be working
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4462536408_527b73cee7-1-jpg  

Thread Information