recording live ensembles

thexflamesxburn

I am going to start recording live ensembles regularly, mostly high school bands, theater performances, etc. I have searched the forums, learned a lot, but haven't found exactly what I've been looking for. To get things started, here is my current mic list:

(1) Audio Technica AT-4040
(1) AKG D112
(1) Sennheiser MD 421 II
(2) Rode NT5
(2) Audix D2
(3) Shure SM-57
(2) Sennheiser e609
(1) MXL 2001

I was thinking of using the nt-5's as a spaced pair or x-y (suggestions?). they have yielded impressive results as overheads for drums. or maybe i should just use the 4040? or both?

the recording will be done in band rooms as well as auditoriums. i will be doing this regularly so i would like to invest in a better microphone(s) that will serve this purpose better. i dont have a large budget, would like to stay under $400 at this point. i have heard good things about the akg c1000s...

also, i would be bringing a laptop/pc and recording into pro-tools le (digi002r) for the moment. would it be good to invest in a field recorder and small mixer instead?

Last edited:
Depending on the groups and the nature of the performance, just two mics XY'd out the front could do you real well!

I'm actually recording a show in a couple of days which is a wind orchestra and thats what I plan on doing... But this is in a nice theater, acoustically speaking. I'll be using just your standard rode M3 mics, nothing too fancy, into a zoom z4 portable recorder...

thank you ace, that was extremely helpful. i think ortf will be what i go with, glad to see it produces consistent results.

if i can get steady enough clients, then i will definitely be looking for some better pres (right now all i have are the 4 on the digi002r and the 8-ch presonus digimax lt). hopefully the pres i have now will suffice for the time being.

EDIT: most of those pre-amps are out of my price range. but any thoughts on the focusrite twintrak?

Last edited:
just stick with the preamps on the digi 002. they're not THAT bad :o
... and yeah, the ORTF technnique is what i mostly use at work

i know i´m late, but i want strictly discourage you from the AKG c1000s, i have unfortunately 5 of them and its awful!
AKG wanted to manufacture a mic that can be used very universal, for live and even a bit for recording. But here`s the rub: in using live, i made the experience all people talking about: nearly useless. E.g. for an choir: by positioning the mics to near, youve got a few single voices->bad sound. by positoning too far there is the typical bathroomsound. but there´s not really a best point to point the mics...
in recording the c1000 is usable, for very low demands! by using a simple pc-soundcard:ok by using an interface: no!
If you arent able to affort better mics you should have a look hat rhode M3 (it costs the half...)
cu

Depending on the groups and the nature of the performance, just two mics XY'd out the front could do you real well!

^^This^^ is what I have found to work really well with an acoustic group. I use a stereo coincidental pair of SDC'c (in my case, I have an old matched pair of Oktava MK-012's),
This configuration mounted high on a boom stand about 7 or eight feet up over the group center stage and about 10 feet back will give you a beautiful over all picture of the sound and the group dynamics.

Back