Recording with a Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville

smallhands

Has anyone ever recorded using a Hot Rod series amp? I was wondering if it were possible to line it out? Any tips on mic'ing the speaker would be helpful also. The amp sounds great, I'm just having a problem getting the recording to sound great too:cool:

DI-ing a tube guitar amp is generally not very popular, and for good reason- you lose EVERYTHING the amp does for you tone except the pre-amp stage- no power amp, no power amp tube overdrive, no speaker, no cab.

KISS: a SM57, on a short stand, right close but not touching the grill cloth (esp. if you have a metal grill,) off-center (ecentric) of the speaker cone, about half-way between dust cone and outer edge of the speaker cone, in a room by it's self or an iso box if you can, is the best way to go.

We've got two Devilles at our disposal and have recorded with both. There's nothing special about the Deville or any other cabinet, just stick your mic up theee and start recording. the "rules" are no different than they are for anything from a Pignose to a Mesa Boogie.

I'm with Stevieb, keep it simple. I've never needed anything other than a basic 57 or 421 close miked to get the sound I needed.

G.

Never recorded with one, however, some "rules" apply with mic technique. Use a SM57 or equivalent, If you mic closer to the center of the speaker, you get a brighter tone. If you move the mic from the center horizontally outward towards the outside cone, you get a darker sound. Experiment and have fun. I record a different take for each mic position, then I pic the best mic position where I can listen to the differences.

Hope this helps,
Tyler

Back